27 replies to this topic

#1 Alfonzogonzo

Alfonzogonzo

• Official Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:02 AM

Hi
Fellow Drummers,

I Just wanted to share with you all my Mapex Orion in the Coffee Burst Finish (Chrome H/W).

I have been drumming for 37 years and I have played many different drums.....and I can honestly say that I am totally in love with this kit. I have had it for just over a year now and played a number of shows with it. Drummers and Non-Drummers have come up to me at the end of the shows to compliment the sound of these drums! I find that they are so full and rich in sound and very responsive! Also, the look of these babies are just Awesome, especially on a stage with the lighting and all!

All I can say is thank you Mapex for great drums! After owning many other Drum Brands, I am totally happy with this one! As opposed to U2's song....."I Have Found What I Was Looking For"!!!

I would love to know what you think....

My Set-Up is as follows:

DRUMS (in inches):

Snare: 14 x 5.5
Aux Snare: 13 x 6

Tom 1: 8 x 7
Tom 2: 10 x 8
Tom 3: 12 x 9
Suspended Floor Tom 1: 14 x 12
Suspended Floor Tom 2: 16 x 14
Kick: 22 x 18

Cymbals - Allin Brilliant Finish (Top View: Left to Right):

Hi Hats: 14" Sabian AA Rock Hats

14" Zildjian Thin Crash
18" Zildjian Dark Crash (Vintage 1965)
15" Sabian AAX X-Plosion Fast Crash
16" Zildjian A-Custom Crash
20" Sabian HH Rock Ride
18" Sabian AAX Chinese
14" Sabian B8 Mini Chinese (Love the Trashy Shound from this Cymbal)
17" Sabian AAX X-Plosion Crash

Pedals (Depends on the Gig and Style):

Mapex Falcon (Double Bass Pedals)
Tama Iron Cobra (Double Bass Pedals)

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Al\'s Orion.jpg
  • 2 Alfonzo\'s Orion.jpg
  • 3 Alfonzo\'s Orion.JPG
  • 4 Alfonzo\'s Orion.JPG
  • 5 Alfonzo\'s Orion.JPG
  • 6 Alfonzo\'s Orion.jpg
  • 7 Alfonzo\'s Orion.jpg

#2 xsabers

xsabers

Members

• Official Member
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:45 AM

WOW!!! If they sound half as good as they look, you have a winner. That last close up was exceptionally stunning. What kind of music do you typically play?
SilverMine (covers)
http://www.silvermineband.com

4th Guy Shining
http://www.4thguy.com

#3 Alfonzogonzo

Alfonzogonzo

• Official Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:20 AM

Thanks for your reply! I started playing Jazz and Rock and did the Montreal and Toronto Club stuff for many years. Subsequently I joined wedding bands playing lots of Latin stuff...which is very fun to play (Samba, Cha Cha, Cuban, etc....), top 40 and dance music. My influences were Neil Pert (Rush), The John Bonham (Led Z) and Graham Lear (Original Santana Band). Today I play a few (3 to 5 gigs)...but big concerts for Fund Raisers (Women Shelters, Cancer Research, etc....). Music covers Rush to Beatles to Rage Against the Machine to Jazz to Sade, etc....basically what ever type of show it is...we are there.....Thanks again for your reply!

#4 Frodis

Frodis

Keep on Chooglin

• Super Moderators
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:42 AM

Looks great! That has always been one of my favorite finishes. In years past, we probably tread some of the same stompin' grounds. I, too, cut my teeth abck in the day on the Eastern Ontario circuits. Great to have you as part of the forum. Welcome to CSM!

Regards,
Mike H

#5 Alfonzogonzo

Alfonzogonzo

• Official Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:00 AM

Looks great! That has always been one of my favorite finishes. In years past, we probably tread some of the same stompin' grounds. I, too, cut my teeth abck in the day on the Eastern Ontario circuits. Great to have you as part of the forum. Welcome to CSM!

Regards,
Mike H

Thanks Mike. I was in a band called Pegasus in the 1980's. Very heavy on Led Zepp, Rush, Iron Maiden, ACDC, ...etc...It was a blast! What about you...and what takes you to Japan?

#6 Sticks4drums

Sticks4drums

Sticks

• Advanced Contributor
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:31 AM

Hey! Someone took my Mapex banner. :) Great pictures, and great looking drums and setup. Those triple stands do a great job don't they, and they look great. Congratulations on your kit. Very nice.

#7 VanWinkle

VanWinkle

Honored Member

• Advanced Contributor
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:29 AM

Welcome , Alfonzo. One of my all-time favorite Mapex finishes....

I see you've got a Falcon double and an IC double. Would you be kind enough to do a comparison review for me? I've got an IC double and have been itching for something different. I haven't come across a Falcon double locally to try out yet and don't intend on dropping the bucks on something like that without a trial.

Appreciate it, and "welcome" again,

Ken
Mapex Caramel Fade Pro-M, 10TT,12TT,14FT, 16FT, 22 BD, 14x5.5 SN

Birdseye Maple BP 13 x 6, Maple/Cherry BP 12 x 7, Sledgehammer BP 14 x 6.5

Aquarian Super 2 Clear over Classic Clear Heads, Evans Coated G1 and Genera Snares, Aquarian Force 1 w/Stock Reso on Kick

Sabian AA, AAX, HHX and HH

ProMark Japanese Oak 777's

Gibralter V-Rack with wings (not to prevent leaking)

IC Double Pedal & Hi-Hat

TAMA PowerMetal Bronze 14 x 6.5

TAMA 6 ' and 8" Mini-Tymps

#8 prplx

prplx

Milf Magnet

• Official Member
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:00 AM

I hate that finish! :D Another Coffee Burst in the Montreal region??? Nice! I have the exact same kit, same finish. So do at least 3 other guy in the Montreal area. When I first saw yours, I thought you must have bought one from one of the 3 others, but looking at the stock drumheads, it looks brand new?

In any case, as you said, great drum great finish and great sound. I'll be playing mine at the Lion d'Or next march, if you want to see/hear it.

Jean
Fastest right foot on earth.

#9 Redvan

Redvan

Red is right out.

• Advanced Contributor
  • 902 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:35 AM

Great kit! Looks even better than Jean's. :P I have no doubt it sounds awesome. Welcome!
July 2010 KOTM Meridian Maple Studioease+ in Midnight Steel
Mapex Black Panther Machete
Mapex Falcon double pedal
Mapex hardware
Zildjian A and K Custom Hybrid

https://www.facebook.com/ArchiveKC
http://www.myspace.com/wishspace

#10 xsabers

xsabers

Members

• Official Member
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

... What about you...and what takes you to Japan?

Canada wised up... :bustout: :bustout: :bustout:
SilverMine (covers)
http://www.silvermineband.com

4th Guy Shining
http://www.4thguy.com