My MAPEX Orion - Coffee Burst

28 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hi

Fellow Drummers,

I Just wanted to share with you all my Mapex Orion in the Coffee Burst Finish (Chrome H/W).

I have been drumming for 37 years and I have played many different drums.....and I can honestly say that I am totally in love with this kit. I have had it for just over a year now and played a number of shows with it. Drummers and Non-Drummers have come up to me at the end of the shows to compliment the sound of these drums! I find that they are so full and rich in sound and very responsive! Also, the look of these babies are just Awesome, especially on a stage with the lighting and all!

All I can say is thank you Mapex for great drums! After owning many other Drum Brands, I am totally happy with this one! As opposed to U2's song....."I Have Found What I Was Looking For"!!!

I would love to know what you think....

My Set-Up is as follows:

DRUMS (in inches):

Snare: 14 x 5.5

Aux Snare: 13 x 6

Tom 1: 8 x 7

Tom 2: 10 x 8

Tom 3: 12 x 9

Suspended Floor Tom 1: 14 x 12

Suspended Floor Tom 2: 16 x 14

Kick: 22 x 18

Cymbals - Allin Brilliant Finish (Top View: Left to Right):

Hi Hats: 14" Sabian AA Rock Hats

14" Zildjian Thin Crash

18" Zildjian Dark Crash (Vintage 1965)

15" Sabian AAX X-Plosion Fast Crash

16" Zildjian A-Custom Crash

20" Sabian HH Rock Ride

18" Sabian AAX Chinese

14" Sabian B8 Mini Chinese (Love the Trashy Shound from this Cymbal)

17" Sabian AAX X-Plosion Crash

Pedals (Depends on the Gig and Style):

Mapex Falcon (Double Bass Pedals)

Tama Iron Cobra (Double Bass Pedals)

post-2429-0-02185600-1325833123_thumb.jp

post-2429-0-52101600-1325833140_thumb.jp

post-2429-0-32659000-1325833170_thumb.jp

post-2429-0-05664400-1325833203_thumb.jp

post-2429-0-26821700-1325833216_thumb.jp

post-2429-0-97423300-1325833233_thumb.jp

post-2429-0-82041900-1325833254_thumb.jp

Posted · Report post

WOW!!! If they sound half as good as they look, you have a winner. That last close up was exceptionally stunning. What kind of music do you typically play?

Posted · Report post

Thanks for your reply! I started playing Jazz and Rock and did the Montreal and Toronto Club stuff for many years. Subsequently I joined wedding bands playing lots of Latin stuff...which is very fun to play (Samba, Cha Cha, Cuban, etc....), top 40 and dance music. My influences were Neil Pert (Rush), The John Bonham (Led Z) and Graham Lear (Original Santana Band). Today I play a few (3 to 5 gigs)...but big concerts for Fund Raisers (Women Shelters, Cancer Research, etc....). Music covers Rush to Beatles to Rage Against the Machine to Jazz to Sade, etc....basically what ever type of show it is...we are there.....Thanks again for your reply!

Posted · Report post

Looks great! That has always been one of my favorite finishes. In years past, we probably tread some of the same stompin' grounds. I, too, cut my teeth abck in the day on the Eastern Ontario circuits. Great to have you as part of the forum. Welcome to CSM!

Regards,

Mike H

Posted · Report post

Looks great! That has always been one of my favorite finishes. In years past, we probably tread some of the same stompin' grounds. I, too, cut my teeth abck in the day on the Eastern Ontario circuits. Great to have you as part of the forum. Welcome to CSM!

Regards,

Mike H

Thanks Mike. I was in a band called Pegasus in the 1980's. Very heavy on Led Zepp, Rush, Iron Maiden, ACDC, ...etc...It was a blast! What about you...and what takes you to Japan?

Posted · Report post

Hey! Someone took my Mapex banner. :) Great pictures, and great looking drums and setup. Those triple stands do a great job don't they, and they look great. Congratulations on your kit. Very nice.

Posted · Report post

Welcome , Alfonzo. One of my all-time favorite Mapex finishes....

I see you've got a Falcon double and an IC double. Would you be kind enough to do a comparison review for me? I've got an IC double and have been itching for something different. I haven't come across a Falcon double locally to try out yet and don't intend on dropping the bucks on something like that without a trial.

Appreciate it, and "welcome" again,

Ken

Posted · Report post

I hate that finish! :D Another Coffee Burst in the Montreal region??? Nice! I have the exact same kit, same finish. So do at least 3 other guy in the Montreal area. When I first saw yours, I thought you must have bought one from one of the 3 others, but looking at the stock drumheads, it looks brand new?

In any case, as you said, great drum great finish and great sound. I'll be playing mine at the Lion d'Or next march, if you want to see/hear it.

Jean

Posted · Report post

Great kit! Looks even better than Jean's. :P I have no doubt it sounds awesome. Welcome!

Posted · Report post

... What about you...and what takes you to Japan?

Canada wised up... :bustout::bustout::bustout:

Posted · Report post

Hey! Someone took my Mapex banner. :) Great pictures, and great looking drums and setup. Those triple stands do a great job don't they, and they look great. Congratulations on your kit. Very nice.

Thanks for your comments Jag! I agree with you .... the triple stands are great. I also have one stand (over my floor tom) with a fourth arm for the cow bell. The great thing about the Mapex stands is that they are so sturdy and take the weight without any "swing" or "bouncing" while playing...

Posted · Report post

I hate that finish! :D Another Coffee Burst in the Montreal region??? Nice! I have the exact same kit, same finish. So do at least 3 other guy in the Montreal area. When I first saw yours, I thought you must have bought one from one of the 3 others, but looking at the stock drumheads, it looks brand new?

In any case, as you said, great drum great finish and great sound. I'll be playing mine at the Lion d'Or next march, if you want to see/hear it.

Jean

Bonjour Jean! Un autre drummer avec un "Coffee Burst" a Montreal!! (For the rest of you....that was french for: An other drummer with a Coffee Burst in Montreal!!

Thanks for your reply Jean! Let me know the date and I will try to make it to the Lion d'Or...

Take Care!

Posted · Report post

Welcome , Alfonzo. One of my all-time favorite Mapex finishes....

I see you've got a Falcon double and an IC double. Would you be kind enough to do a comparison review for me? I've got an IC double and have been itching for something different. I haven't come across a Falcon double locally to try out yet and don't intend on dropping the bucks on something like that without a trial.

Appreciate it, and "welcome" again,

Ken

Hey Ken, Thanks for your reply!

The best way I can explain the difference between the Falcon and the IC is the following:

Firstly both my Falcon and IC are double chain driven. I will not comment on the Cams as I have a different set-up on each pedal. I have a "power" cam on the IC to give me an explosive and fast hit (which I use for rock and heavier stuff, and I use the Falcon standard cam for my latin or jazz stuff).

The IC is a good fast pedal, but it is, and feels, heavier than the Falcon. The pedal foot print on the IC is also wider, although they both have the same lenght, which i think makes a bigger difference in the heavier feel. To compensate for the heavier pedal, you will need a little more spring force on the IC than on the Falcon to try to get the same feel. The IC beater is not very vesitile as it only has a felt side for the beater and it cannot be reversed to play with a solid beater. BUT...the one thing I love about the IC beaters is that they can be tilted to strike you bass drum head perfectly flat.

Mapex did a great job with the slimmer and lighter pedal for the Falcon. It also gives you a little (and I stress Little) extra space when using a double pedal setup. I find it a little faster as it feels lighter and seems to float under your feet. Also, the Falcon's standard beaters are much more versitile than the IC. You can add or remove weights in the beater head to go get the right wight and feel you want. I know a drummer that is using different weights for his left and right foot. Also, you can reverse them to give you the Felt or Plastic beater sound. However, they do not have the feature of "tilting" the beater to match the angle of the bass drum (like with the IC).

I think that they are both good responsive and solid pedels. My personal opinion is that if you are into heavy to medium rock music, I think the IC is a good pedal.

Again, in my opinion, the Falcon has a lighter feel under your feet...so it is nice to play and seems a little more effecient than the IC.

However, if you are ready to try other pedals....do not discount the DW 9000. Take your time and you MUST find a way to try the pedals before you buy since they are a matter of preference.

Hope this helps!!

Take Care.

Posted · Report post

Jean

Bonjour Jean! Un autre drummer avec un "Coffee Burst" a Montreal!! (For the rest of you....that was french for: An other drummer with a Coffee Burst in Montreal!!

Thanks for your reply Jean! Let me know the date and I will try to make it to the Lion d'Or...

Take Care!

Friday March 23rd. With Progressive Lenz. We play old prog classics, Genesis, Yes, Manfred Mann, Supertramp, etc, plus a few original songs.

Posted · Report post

Jean

Take Care!

Friday March 23rd. With Progressive Lenz. We play old prog classics, Genesis, Yes, Manfred Mann, Supertramp, etc, plus a few original songs.

OK...Thanks. I will try to come by

Posted · Report post

Be still, my beating heart! That kit is stunning, simply stunning. That finish is just perfect with the Orion's burl exterior. Once I was putting creamer in my coffee at the Cheesecake Factory where they use clear coffee mugs. When first poured in, it made me think of this finish!

I also like your setup - very similar to mine, but yours is nicer - mine's an Mbirch in trans cherry. I really like suspended FT's - they give a nice continuity from the rack toms.

Nice review on the pedals. Have you ever tried your Falcons with the Pursuit (power) cams or the straps? I'm wondering how much the cams close the gap in feel between the Falcons and IC's. I've actually never tried either on my Falcons! Need to! It seems though from playing other pedals that the round cams (glides on the Falcon) will give a more even stroke, better for subtle work and fine control, at the expense of power - true? Which would 'splain your preference for them on the lighter forms of music.

Jeremy

Posted · Report post

BTW if your kit is like mine, it comes out a lot lighter under the light of flash and looks darker under natural light.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Great kit! Looks even better than Jean's. :P I have no doubt it sounds awesome. Welcome!

He does have one more tom then me! (the 8) But I bet I look more handsome behind mine! At least that is what I like to think...

Oh, and don,t trust Redvan on the sounds, he thinks Orion sound like crap. :cool:

Edited by prplx

Posted · Report post

Be still, my beating heart! That kit is stunning, simply stunning. That finish is just perfect with the Orion's burl exterior. Once I was putting creamer in my coffee at the Cheesecake Factory where they use clear coffee mugs. When first poured in, it made me think of this finish!

I also like your setup - very similar to mine, but yours is nicer - mine's an Mbirch in trans cherry. I really like suspended FT's - they give a nice continuity from the rack toms.

Nice review on the pedals. Have you ever tried your Falcons with the Pursuit (power) cams or the straps? I'm wondering how much the cams close the gap in feel between the Falcons and IC's. I've actually never tried either on my Falcons! Need to! It seems though from playing other pedals that the round cams (glides on the Falcon) will give a more even stroke, better for subtle work and fine control, at the expense of power - true? Which would 'splain your preference for them on the lighter forms of music.

Jeremy

Hey Jeremy, Thanks for your reply Buddy!

Creamer in the Coffee at a Cheesecake Factory........I never thought of that one. Now every time I have a coffee I will think of you and will get the urge to play my drums (lol)!!!!! Thanks for your comments!!!!

To your point I have never tried switching the cams on the Falcon as I have only had them for about 7 months. I will get to it sometime...however, I am happy with the feel it has now.....I will let you know if I change them.....

Thanks again Jeremy!

Posted · Report post

stunning!

great finish!

Posted · Report post

He does have one more tom then me! (the 8) But I bet I look more handsome behind mine! At least that is what I like to think...

Oh, and don,t trust Redvan on the sounds, he thinks Orion sound like crap. :cool:

Slander!

Posted · Report post

But I bet I look more handsome behind mine!

Would that be while seated behind it or sliding off the throne? :dbdrum::hat:

That's about how long I've had my Falcons. It would only take a few minutes to swap stuff out. But my problem with swapping and trying is unless there's a REALLY obvious difference, I have a hard time quantifying and evaluating what I like better. So I figured I'd get good and familiar with the stock Falcon setup before changing anything. 7 months ought to do! :laugh: I think I'll install the strap on the main pedal first, and leave the slave alone for a consistent comparison point. Then I'll try the Pursuit cam.

Jeremy

Posted · Report post

But I bet I look more handsome behind mine!

Would that be while seated behind it or sliding off the throne? :dbdrum::hat:

That's about how long I've had my Falcons. It would only take a few minutes to swap stuff out. But my problem with swapping and trying is unless there's a REALLY obvious difference, I have a hard time quantifying and evaluating what I like better. So I figured I'd get good and familiar with the stock Falcon setup before changing anything. 7 months ought to do! :lol: I think I'll install the strap on the main pedal first, and leave the slave alone for a consistent comparison point. Then I'll try the Pursuit cam.

Jeremy

Great....keep me posted as I am interested....and I will do the same when I come around to swapping out cams and links.....

Thanks Jeremy

Al

Posted · Report post

I love that finish...........

Posted · Report post

Wow, stunning kit. Looks comfy with those angled hangers on the right. Great shot with the lighting illuminating through the rack toms.