• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Frodis

Frodis

Keep on Chooglin

• Super Moderators
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:52 AM

Is this a rare bird or what? I don't think I've ever seen any discussion on these. It would appear that it is the remnants of the Janus line from some time ago. Was this ever a thing or just a fad? Anyone owned/played one?

I give you the original incarnation of the 'transmission hi-hat':

trans_hat_1.jpg

trans_hat_2.jpg

trans_hat_3.jpg

#2 nmdrummer85

nmdrummer85

Advanced Member

• Advanced Contributor
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:31 PM

I was always intrigued by the idea but I heard it wasn't well executed.....if/when mapex release a falcon/raptor hh stand I'll probably be selling the flying dragon pedal and my 700 series hh stand to pick up new foot toys

Mapex Meridian Birch Drums in black forest fade
Mapex Black Panther Snare Drums (mayan steel, sledgehammer, and brass)
Mapex 700 series stands
Mapex Falcon kick and hi hat
Sabian HHX series cymbals brilliant finish (Click Hats, Raw Bell Dry Ride, Evolution Crashes)
Aquarian Drumheads (jack dejohnette snare batters, clear super 2 tom batters, clear superkick I kick batter, classic clear resonants)
Kickport
Meinl, LP, Toca percussion
Roc N Soc tractor style throne with green seat
Vater drumsticks, rods, and brushes
Ultimate Support, kaces, skb bags/cases

#3 Gearhead

Gearhead

Sorry, I'm no help there :-(

• Advanced Contributor
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:47 PM

That is a cool idea. Looking at the pics though, I notice that the main drive is a chain, while the slave has a DD and some other linkage involved as well. Those two pedals could not have felt very much alike to play.
Did I miss something??

#4 SpeedNinja

SpeedNinja

Vintage Mapex Guru

• Member of the Year
  • 9,966 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:05 PM

I've got the hi-hat side. Different foot board design and all that, but same basic stuff. I didn't know they sold a hi-hat side only when I bought it, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten it. So I kinda check for used Janus double pedals on occasion. It's a neat piece of hardware, which is why I got it. From what I remember, they had tons of reliability issues. It's also fairly heavy and doesn't fold up so nicely.

I can try to take some close-ups of some areas if you're interested.

That is a cool idea. Looking at the pics though, I notice that the main drive is a chain, while the slave has a DD and some other linkage involved as well. Those two pedals could not have felt very much alike to play.

Yes, that DD cam on the slave side looks incredibly similar to the Raptor DD cam. I'd like to find one of the old Janus double pedals and grab a couple of those cams to make it all match. (Discovered the 300 series foot board isn't a perfect match for the Raptor stuff, mentioned in my crazy retrofit thread. Looking for a cheap 500/700 series double, or Janus, now.)

#5 111111boom

111111boom

Members

• Official Member
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:45 PM

I had one for a short while. Great idea, and it worked fairly well for switching over to fairly long passages of dbl bass (which I don't do)., but was a bit cumbersome for quick dbl bass hits.

#6 Gearhead

Gearhead

Sorry, I'm no help there :-(

• Advanced Contributor
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:31 AM

Ah, I can see that. I have a hard enough time just getting my brain to move my left foot back and forth from pedal to pedal for quick hits! :confused:

Mike, the heel plate must pivot, yes? And those little black carriages slide up and down the T-rails?

Edited by Gearhead, 31 January 2012 - 11:32 AM.

Did I miss something??

#7 SpeedNinja

SpeedNinja

Vintage Mapex Guru

• Member of the Year
  • 9,966 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:27 PM

Yes, and yes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mapex, janus, hihat, double pedal