Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Does wood type matter?

28 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Huh...interesting. The Sleishmans I have been talking about also offer their Omega series with NA maple, for a little more cost but not a whole lot. I wonder if all NA maple is created equal, or if there is some NA maple that is much more similar to Asian maple in quality?

Posted · Report post

interesting topic Augie Dog!, personally I think the drum manufacturers list the wood types and exotics on the high end kits is to "justify" to us the consumer for the price they are asking! one of the main reasons for me staying with the Mapex brand over the last 15 years is the fact that they are,(Pro-M's,Mars Pro's) all maple shells!,Asian or American? I assume Asian!,funny how the higher end and exotic kits are thinner shells,so less material,even though higher wood quality,yet the outer ply with its gorgeous grain of Maple,bubinga,burl or what not is what your paying for?? unless you order a kit made of dinosaur wood thats been in lake Michigan for the last 500 years!! Again,we learned on a piece of shit kit, that had good heads and was tuned well! I have heard pro drummers on crappy drums that sound awesome and pro drummers on top-o--the-line kits that sound just God awful!! also in response to speed ninjas comment on vintage drums and no mid/entry levels, I dissagree, my 80's Premier "Royale" kit is plies of birch and eucyliptus, not sure which the outer stained ply is?,looks like oak,I guess its birch, but they never have sounded great, but they are pretty!

Posted · Report post

also in response to speed ninjas comment on vintage drums and no mid/entry levels, I dissagree, my 80's Premier "Royale" kit is plies of birch and eucyliptus, not sure which the outer stained ply is?,looks like oak,I guess its birch, but they never have sounded great, but they are pretty!

When I say vintage, I mean something that's really vintage. 1980s isn't vintage, just old.