• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Thunderchunk

Thunderchunk

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:38 AM

Hello everybody!
I'm new to this forum, so I'm sorry if this question has been asked already. I've owned a Mapex Mars Pro kit for a little more than a decade now, and absolutely love these drums. I've never felt the need to get another set. However, a few weeks ago I played an outdoor show and got rained on. So I decided since everything was all wet, I might as well give my drums a really good drying and cleaning. So I took off all the lugs and polished everything. Now the problem is that one of the screws on one of the floor tom lugs was either completely stripped inside, or had some debris in there or something. The screw head completely stripped out from trying to turn it, and then the head broke off. So now I have the shaft of the screw stuck in the threading of the lug. Do any of you know how to fix this or where I can find replacement lugs for these? I usually only play a 4 piece, so temporarily I just took one of the lugs off my rack tom and put it on the floor tom, but there are times when I like to use the whole 5 piece, so I would definitely like to get this fixed as soon as possible. Thanks everybody!

#2 Gearhead

Gearhead

Sorry, I'm no help there :-(

• V.I.P.
  • 5,662 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

Welcome! Wet drums = bad, that's a real bummer. Maybe if you put a small vice grip on the shaft and work it gently it may come loose. Spray with a little WD40 and let it soak beforehand.

Good luck!

Jeremy
Did I miss something??

#3 xsabers

xsabers

Members

• Members
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:24 AM

Welcom to CSM and you are right about those drums being great drums.

I suggest you find someone with a tap set. Removing a busted screw or bolt is a fairly common task (not so much with drums, but it happens). Doing it correctly will give you the best chance at saving the hardware from further damage.
SilverMine (covers)
http://www.silvermineband.com

4th Guy Shining
http://www.4thguy.com

#4 Gearhead

Gearhead

Sorry, I'm no help there :-(

• V.I.P.
  • 5,662 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:51 PM

Also, contact the drummer super store (represented on this site). Call them and ask if they can get you a lug, and how much $. They are very resourceful!
Did I miss something??

#5 Augie

Augie

Everyday Joe

• Administrators
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:07 AM

Welcome to CSM Thunderchunk,
Easiest to buy a 4 pack of lugs new in the package, pretty inexpensive also and SuperStore carries these our group buy store. Click the banner at the top of our forum index :)

Kind Regards

#6 SpeedNinja

SpeedNinja

Vintage Mapex Guru

• M.O.T.Y
  • 9,660 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

I second Jeremy's suggestion of using a vice grip after you've soaked it with WD40/PBlaster/etc. Shouldn't be too bad since since it's in a drum and not underneath a car or anything. Then you just need a new screw.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lugs, Tube Lugs, Mars Pro, Mapex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users