• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 Sticks4drums

Sticks4drums

Sticks

• Advanced Contributor
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

As many of you know, I am refurbishing my 150 year old barn, and making a drum room in the loft.  How would you feel if you could, for a small deposit, ask for a particular brand and model of drum kit to try out.  Now this wouldn't be in a Guitar Center, or Long & McQuade, where if they did let you, you would have people all around making noise, and the drums may or may not be in tune.  What if you could book an appointment, and come to a private testing of the drums and cymbals you are interested in, at a barn with a drum loft, where you could really play them.  These drums would be tuned, and have the model of cymbals that you wanted, if cymbals were also on your radar.  

#2 Gearhead

Gearhead

Sorry, I'm no help there :-(

• Advanced Contributor
  • 5,757 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

I think that kind of deal is what sold Graham his kit.

Did I miss something??

#3 Sticks4drums

Sticks4drums

Sticks

• Advanced Contributor
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

I think that kind of deal is what sold Graham his kit.

I think you are right my friend!  What do you think of the idea?

#4 Gearhead

Gearhead

• Advanced Contributor
  • 5,757 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

It's a great idea, but with a limited market.  What I mean is, I don't know how many of us are at a level or know exactly the sound we are after sufficiently such that we would pay for that service.  As cool as it is, I probably would not pay for it.  But I'm super cheap...  ;)

Did I miss something??

#5 Sticks4drums

Sticks4drums

Sticks

• Advanced Contributor
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

It's a great idea, but with a limited market.  What I mean is, I don't know how many of us are at a level or know exactly the sound we are after sufficiently such that we would pay for that service.  As cool as it is, I probably would not pay for it.  But I'm super cheap...  ;)

Your deposit would go towards that kit or something else you buy.

#6 Brian Peat

Brian Peat

• Official Member
  • 588 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

I might have done that if it went toward the kit and I was assured over and over that there would be no offense taken if I didn't like the kit. Before I got my kit the drum shop owner me tip bed he had a Saturn that was a kit Mapex gave him but he never played. His son was supposed to set it up for me so I could test it in the shop. I got tere and it was stacked in a back hallway and I felt rushed. I whacked the badly tuned floor Tom a few times and prayed I was making the right choice. It all came out okay, but it was not a great experience. Now I love near Dales drum shop and I've never seen a soul in there REALLY testing out a kit. And they're all badly tuned.

This brings up something. Why do the kits in every drum shop in America sound like crap? How do they sell anything with them tuned so bad?!
Brian Peat
----------
Mapex Saturn Transparent Cherry Red
Studioease 6 piece
http://www.facebook.com/brianpeat
AIM: Keynoteuser

#7 Gearhead

Gearhead

• Advanced Contributor
  • 5,757 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

That's my observation as well.  They don't really expect you to test them.  Maybe if you shop more specialized, more 'spensive places they are different.

Did I miss something??

#8 logogogue

logogogue

I am the Mod Squad

• Super Moderators
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

interesting proposition jag.

but i have to say, i'd force the issue to ensure my shop will let me tune the drum and check it out - if it is in stock before I buy. I try to be respectful about it but I do insist.

Case in point, I buy a lot of stuff at Maxwell's and they have a proper drum room and they let you play and test to your hearts content. I tune the drums the way I want to and they have stacks and stacks of cymbals to wack I love the setup so they get my money.

I don't know if I would be into paying to try something... If you are going to sell the product, it should be a free trial.

if the idea is to have a rehearsal/recording studio situation where people can sit down and practice AND get to choose a kit of their choice, that's another story.

#9 SpeedNinja

SpeedNinja

Vintage Mapex Guru

• Member of the Year
  • 9,804 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

It's a good idea, for people at the level of finding the high end kit they want, or looking for a particular sound on a song/album.

This brings up something. Why do the kits in every drum shop in America sound like crap? How do they sell anything with them tuned so bad?!

You haven't been to Resurrection.

#10 dingerjunkie

dingerjunkie

blatant gear whore

• Official Member
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:41 AM

I would personally charge...or would pay for (if a customer)...the testing appointment separate from the gear, with the balance being deductible from any significant purchase as a deposit.  I would also expect that each session would be at least a two-hour instance for ear-fatigue breaks when comparing cymbal, drum or head configurations/combinations.

I would also suggest that you set up one good stereo-pair mic set at the room's "sweet spot" to record each configuration with the customer playing, so that they can also compare/evaluate the kits "from out front."

This would be worth a few hundred dollars to me when making a purchase in the thousands.

"Theory and Practice are ALWAYS identical...theoretically..."

Main: Saturn Studio, Paiste 2002/Alpha/Signature, custom rack
Workhorse Ludwig kit for small rooms or "scary" gigs.
ProdStuff: Heil & Karma Mics, Kelly-SHU, Tama RhythmWatch, ART HeadTap w/ Shure EC3 monitors

Noise Junkies Official Site

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users