• 100_0683.JPG
  • 100_0684.JPG
  • 100_0688.JPG
  • 100_0696.JPG
  • 100_0726.JPG
  • 100_0750 (2).JPG
  • 100_0808.JPG
  • 100_0814.JPG

Edited by OfficialDrummer, 01 March 2014 - 01:30 PM.

#2 VanWinkle

VanWinkle

Honored Member

• Advanced Contributor
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

Gorgeous kit, jawdropping

Mapex Caramel Fade Pro-M, 10TT,12TT,14FT, 16FT, 22 BD, 14x5.5 SN

Birdseye Maple BP 13 x 6, Maple/Cherry BP 12 x 7, Sledgehammer BP 14 x 6.5

Aquarian Super 2 Clear over Classic Clear Heads, Evans Coated G1 and Genera Snares, Aquarian Force 1 w/Stock Reso on Kick

Sabian AA, AAX, HHX and HH

ProMark Japanese Oak 777's

Gibralter V-Rack with wings (not to prevent leaking)

IC Double Pedal & Hi-Hat

TAMA PowerMetal Bronze 14 x 6.5

TAMA 6 ' and 8" Mini-Tymps

#3 Tuckerboy

Tuckerboy

• Official Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

Thank you sir.  I'm trying to look up some pics of your kit (and set up) but not able to or pics not there?  Do you have 2nd set of hats between floor toms.  I would like to have something tight and crisp in a 13. 

Which is your favorite or go to snare?  Those Sledge Hammers' are such a beautiful snare, every time I see one I just have to stand back and admire for a few minutes. 

#4 logogogue

logogogue

I am the Mod Squad

• Super Moderators
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:33 PM

that's a sweet, sweet setup!

what's up with the out of commission business?

#5 Tuckerboy

Tuckerboy

• Official Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:44 AM

Chronic spine problems. I had a motorcycle accident when I was younger.

#6 StrungOut72

StrungOut72

• Official Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

That's an amazing looking kit and setup! Absolutely gorgeous. Sorry to hear about your spinal problems - here's hoping you get better soon mate! I just picked up a Saturn IV myself and I'm absolutely chuffed with it!

#7 VanWinkle

VanWinkle

Honored Member

• Advanced Contributor
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

Thank you sir.  I'm trying to look up some pics of your kit (and set up) but not able to or pics not there?  Do you have 2nd set of hats between floor toms.  I would like to have something tight and crisp in a 13. 

Which is your favorite or go to snare?  Those Sledge Hammers' are such a beautiful snare, every time I see one I just have to stand back and admire for a few minutes. 

Hi Tucker. It's been a long while since I did any photos - I'll have some updates for sure when I finish my latest project (very slow going).

I used to put a set of Wuhan S 13's over the floor toms for times I played double kick pedal - don't do that sort of music often.

My favorite "go to" snare is whichever one I happen to have on there at the time - each one has qualities I love and each also has enough tuning range to adapt to whatever music you're doing. Strangely enough, it's the 13" Birdseye maple that sounds most like what one would expect a snare to sound like. The other two have very unique properties and all of them are gorgeous. Right now I've been using the Birdseye, but I've had the Sledgehammer starting to beckon....

I hate that your back is acting up - especially with that beautiful Saturn teasing you all the time. Hope you get to use it as Physical Therapy.

Later,

Ken

Aquarian Super 2 Clear over Classic Clear Heads, Evans Coated G1 and Genera Snares, Aquarian Force 1 w/Stock Reso on Kick

IC Double Pedal & Hi-Hat

#8 Tuckerboy

Tuckerboy

• Official Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

I definitely would like to have a nice maple or walnut snare. I'm thinking about getting rid of the Machete BP. It's a really nice snare but it is so loud. The website says "If your in the need of a drum that can hack its way through the thickest of guitar noise, look no further" and it does exactly that. It would probably sound great live in a rock or metal setting. Thinking about a Black Beauty but they're so pricey and then to upgrade the throw off. They have some beautiful John Aldridge engraved ones for only about $1500 lol.

The Mandala pad has the Black Beauty presets and I love me some Tool. The tabla drumming is amazing on the "Pushit" alternate live version and is an amazing piece of music if your into stuff like that. "Right In Two" has great tabla also.

Edited by Tuckerboy, 20 April 2013 - 09:12 PM.

#9 VanWinkle

VanWinkle

Honored Member

• Advanced Contributor
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

The Sledgehammer is totally versatile - it's dynamic and responsive so you can lay off of it when the volume needs to be low or use lighter sticks, or cut through whatever you'd like when it's appropriate.

I think I'm going to set it up as my main for a while. Love Tool, BTW, but listening to Danny makes me question why I drum....LOL (Not really...)

IC Double Pedal & Hi-Hat

#10 Tuckerboy

Tuckerboy

• Official Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

I think it's a great sounding snare.  If you only had one to choose from, would it be the maple or the Sledgehammer?  What combo of heads do you like on Sledgehammer.  I'm using the Ambassador and Hazy300 on the Machete.

I agree.  I'm working on the tabla parts for the alternate Pushit  version and it has to be the correct sticking or it just doesn't work.  If you can figure out some of the polyrhythms he plays, they normally repeat for several measures but then he changes it up with little variations, then off with something totally different.  

I'm also a big Jay Lane fan (Primus).  I think his hi hat work is amazing. At first it sounds simple, but if you break it down he's using lots of R/L handed drags, sextuplet rolls mixed in with 16th notes, and odd time hi hat openings to spice it up a bit.  Nothing really fancy and he puts 110% into everything he plays.