• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rich

Rich

One, Two, Three, Four!

• Official Member
  • 568 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:02 AM

Augie, what the hell is this? I had no idea Mapex made a DD. Looks pretty old. Any ideas on it?

Attached Thumbnails

• mapex%20pedal.JPG

I think anyone who has an opinion, and voices it, will offend someone.

Mapex M-Birch in Black Forest Cherry
Ludwig 6.5 Supraphonic
Sabian Paragons
Click for pics

#2 Giuli

Giuli

Advanced Member

• Official Member
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:48 AM

The bass pedal that came with my kit (Mapex Mars, bought it in 2001) had a foot plate exactly like that, but was chain driven. This may be an old modified pedal.
Mapex Mars (kit)
Black Panther Birdseye Maple (main snare)
Istanbul Mehmet Traditional cymbals
http://www.youtube.com/user/istmap

#3 SpeedNinja

SpeedNinja

Vintage Mapex Guru

• Member of the Year
  • 9,950 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:35 PM

They did have a direct drive linkage a loooooong time ago. It wasn't shaped for speed or aggressive playing though. This looks like that old pedal with a newer footboard attached. That's not a longboard, you just can't see most of the hinge.

#4 TheQuietOne75

TheQuietOne75

Faber est suae quisque fortunae

• Official Member
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 11:01 PM

...and here I was thinking it was a leaked photo of the new Janus pedals....:shock::shock: :D
With every experience and encounter in life, there is the chance to find the enlightenment we seek

My Kit

#5 SpeedNinja

SpeedNinja

Vintage Mapex Guru

• Member of the Year
  • 9,950 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 01:50 PM

Mapex had some really cool stuff on their older pedals... if only I could get this scanner working properly...

#6 Big_Drumz

Big_Drumz

Advanced Member

• Official Member
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:41 AM

That is the correct footboard for that pedal. That pedal was available in the early 90's. I own 5 of them for display only as I don't use them. They are actually a pretty decent pedal if you like direct drive. Sure they're no Pearl Demon or Axis or Trick Pro V, but they aren't that bad. I don't remember there being a longboard. If that is a pic of someone else's pedal, the leg of the throne or stand is positioned just right so as you can't see the hinge very well. Believe it or not, the weakest link in those pedals was actually the drive itself. It was made of a potmetal and then chrome plated to look nice. They would constantly break where the drive attached near the beater. ( I have 3 broken pedals all in the same place.) You will also notice that there were different base plates available for these direct drive pedals and that I don't dust enough!! :laugh:

Attached Thumbnails

• vintage mapex pedals 001.jpg
  • vintage mapex pedals 005.jpg
  • vintage mapex pedals 006.jpg
  • vintage mapex pedals 007.jpg

~~~~~ VCP ARMY MEMBER ~~~~~

#7 SpeedNinja

SpeedNinja

Vintage Mapex Guru

• Member of the Year
  • 9,950 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:21 PM

I stand corrected. Thanks Dean. :thumbup:
Looks like the footboard was the only thing on the pedal that was durable enough to use on future generations.