• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 marko46

marko46

Advanced Member

• Official Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:35 PM

Hey guys, I'm leaving my gigging rock band to pursue a new prog/metal project. I have given them as fair of notice as I can. I will continue to play the scheduled gigs till my replacement is found. Maybe five gigs tops as it looks. I'm moving on to what appears to be greener pastures, not that the grass is dead where I've been, just need more of a challenge. Anyway, got off track........................

I'm going to tear my Saturns down completely and polish them up in all the little nooks and cranny's.
My kic has some scratches in the lacquer finish, not deep, but there. I will hand buff, but what do you use to buff out scratches on your kit if ya get one? Also, what wax do you recommend I use on the kit once I'm finished with the cleaning/buffing?

thanks,

marko

#2 Big_Drumz

Big_Drumz

Advanced Member

• Official Member
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:15 PM

Any newer Nano technology type polish or wax. Use something that will not leave that awful white residue. I personally try to use a polish only, but some prefer a wax. To buff out the scratches, first you must make sure that they aren't so deep that you'd have to burn away almost all the lacquer in order to remove. If they are light scratches, I've seen other drummers use that wheel polishing thing that goes on the end of a drill and it appears to do the trick. I personally use a real buffer and with light pressure, buff the shell in the needed areas to remove the scratches. I use 3M buffing compound with the buffer speed at 2100RPM making sure not to stay in one spot too long as you can and will burn through the paint. Trying to remove them by hand buffing with a good compound may be your best bet if you're not comfortable using a buffer. One other thing to remember is to remove the scratches you have to use something with abrasives in it that will create finer scratches and then those must be removed as well with a swirl remover type compound. (again ... I'm talking based on my methods and this may not be the avenue you chose to go) All I can say is, remove all of the hardware, find a scratch in a not so noticeable spot and try it to see how ya do. :) Good luck with both the scratches and the new band!!! :thumbup:
~~~~~ VCP ARMY MEMBER ~~~~~

#3 Rich

Rich

One, Two, Three, Four!

• Official Member
  • 568 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 10:16 AM

Nobody will notice minor dings and scratches aside from you, so I wouldn't go nuts. The nano polish should work well, but that as far as I would go. Unless you want to go nuts...but thats up to you.
I think anyone who has an opinion, and voices it, will offend someone.

Mapex M-Birch in Black Forest Cherry
Ludwig 6.5 Supraphonic
Sabian Paragons
Click for pics

#4 Ytsejam45

Ytsejam45

Effing Canadian Douche Pouch

• Official Member
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 10:24 AM

what color is the area where the scratches are?
they do make some waxes that are colored and fill in the scratches so to speak.
Has a Member

#5 Rich

Rich

One, Two, Three, Four!

• Official Member
  • 568 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:54 PM

Yep, There is always that as well^ I used to use that stuff on my car and it worked very well.
I think anyone who has an opinion, and voices it, will offend someone.

Mapex M-Birch in Black Forest Cherry
Ludwig 6.5 Supraphonic
Sabian Paragons
Click for pics

#6 FoxRodStang

FoxRodStang

V.I.P.

• Official Member
  • 913 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:02 AM

subscribing for future reference
Black Forrest Sapphire M-Birch 1 up, 2 down, Black Panther Walnut snare

www.MattDuncan.us

#7 SpeedNinja

SpeedNinja

Vintage Mapex Guru

• Member of the Year
  • 9,926 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:03 PM

On my past kits I've used a buffing compound which takes out almost everything and greatly diminishes larger scratches. After that a coat or two of nano wax will make everything smooth and flawless looking. I've got tons of deep scratches on my truck and following this process (with clay bar too) makes the paint look darn near flawless.