• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lepi_djura

lepi_djura

• Official Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:11 AM

Greeting guys!!
Have an idea and I'd love to hear your opinion.
That I am a great fan of Vinni Paul one day I would like to buy a drum set in dimensions that he use.
He use:
two bass drums 24*24
tom toms 14*14 and 15*15
floor tom 16*16
and snare drum 14*8
My question is, can Mapex make drums in this dimensions in Saturn series?

I made a little research and figure out that i colud buy simular drums in Saturn series and black panther big cat:
bass drum 24*20
floor toms 14*14 and 15*15 and convert them in tom toms
floor 16*16 and black panther big cat.

Finsh would be transparent black with black hardware. I think it would be sick.I am thinking of puting white resso bass drum and tom tom heads. It would be nice contrast.

So, what do you think guys, is it posible for Mapex to make bass drum that big and how long old black panthes will be on the market after new one comes out?

Glen Sobel Snare Contest
Glen Sobel Snare Contest

#2 Augie

Augie

Everyday Joe

• Administrators
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:28 AM

Greeting guys!!
That I am a great fan of Vinni Paul one day I would like to buy a drum set in dimensions that he use.
He use:
two bass drums 24*24
tom toms 14*14 and 15*15
floor tom 16*16
and snare drum 14*8

I made a little research and figure out that i colud buy simular drums in Saturn series and black panther big cat:
bass drum 24*20

Finsh would be transparent black with black hardware. I think it would be sick.I am thinking of puting white resso bass drum and tom tom heads. It would be nice contrast.

So, what do you think guys, is it posible for Mapex to make bass drum that big and how long old black panthes will be on the market after new one comes out?

Good morning lepi_djura,

Yes, the bass drum sizes for 2009 include a 24x20 or 24x18

Tom Toms come in 15x13 or 15x12, no need to convert anything :)

Regards

#3 lepi_djura

lepi_djura

• Official Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:38 AM

Greeting guys!!
He use:
two bass drums 24*24
tom toms 14*14 and 15*15
floor tom 16*16
and snare drum 14*8

bass drum 24*20

Good morning lepi_djura,

Yes, the bass drum sizes for 2009 include a 24x20 or 24x18

Tom Toms come in 15x13 or 15x12, no need to convert anything :)

Regards

Yes I know that there are sizes of bass drum 24x20, 24x18 but can Mapex make 24x24 bass drum and toms 14x14 and 15x15 becouse i whona that sizes. If ther is no chance to make that drums in that sizes i must use floor toms an convert them to tom toms and use 24x20 bass drum.

#4 Augie

Augie

Everyday Joe

• Administrators
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:04 AM

Ah, I see what you're asking for now, sorry, I mis-undertsood :)

The answer is no for the bass drum and you are correct on the tom sizes. You would have to order floor tom and replace the hardware from a 15x13 or 15x14 size to make a match. I have heard of Mapex making odd sizes for their artists, but not for general public. Call Jeremy and see what he can do :devil: If anyone can get it done, he can!

#5 lepi_djura

lepi_djura

• Official Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 02:43 PM

Ah, I see what you're asking for now, sorry, I mis-undertsood :)

The answer is no for the bass drum and you are correct on the tom sizes. You would have to order floor tom and replace the hardware from a 15x13 or 15x14 size to make a match. I have heard of Mapex making odd sizes for their artists, but not for general public. Call Jeremy and see what he can do :devil: If anyone can get it done, he can!

Ok. Thnx man !!

Is there any other opinion and hints?

#6 rush equals love

rush equals love

Advanced Member

• Official Member
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:10 PM

I have a hint I can think of... :P Are you ever going to play non mic'ed/ triggered? Because his kits sound awful... those sizes are SO HUGE. don't just buy them for the look... what music do you play?
Mapex|Sabian|Pearl

My Youtube Channel.

"Dark clouds may hang on me sometimes

But I'll work it out... Falling out of a world of lies

Could I have been dancing nancy

Could I have been anyone other than me?"

#7 lepi_djura

lepi_djura

• Official Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 04:04 AM

I have a hint I can think of... :P Are you ever going to play non mic'ed/ triggered? Because his kits sound awful... those sizes are SO HUGE. don't just buy them for the look... what music do you play?

Yeah man, i know that his drums sound awful with out trigging and i know that saturn toms sound beutiful and that bass dum is so huge sounding. I know what i can espeact from thoes sizes becouse i have bass drum 24x20, tom tom 14x12 and floor tom 16x16 and they soun beautiful. I think that set in those sizes would be super thunderous sounding and killer looking.

#8 rush equals love

rush equals love

Advanced Member

• Official Member
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:04 AM

Alrighty. And you bet, Saturns are about as deep sounding for their size as you can get
Mapex|Sabian|Pearl

My Youtube Channel.

"Dark clouds may hang on me sometimes

But I'll work it out... Falling out of a world of lies

Could I have been dancing nancy

Could I have been anyone other than me?"

#9 dingerjunkie

dingerjunkie

blatant gear whore

• Official Member
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:09 AM

Yeah man, i know that his drums sound awful with out trigging and i know that saturn toms sound beutiful and that bass dum is so huge sounding. I know what i can espeact from thoes sizes becouse i have bass drum 24x20, tom tom 14x12 and floor tom 16x16 and they soun beautiful. I think that set in those sizes would be super thunderous sounding and killer looking.

If that is what you want, then by no means should you let anyone stop you from trying. Personal opinion here...put sound and function before looks, dude. Make sure that a kit does what you want it to before you worry about how awesome the appearance is, because visual styles change. How many people who bought Lars Ulrich "signature layouts" from Tama looked foolish and out-of-date when he went to fewer and smaller drums?

If the kit is only for your fun, or if the kit is being transported by roadies, then huge for the look is fine. If you intend to be a working drummer, I'd recommend smaller because you can sound huge from drums that will actually fit in a car or small SUV.

Regardless, I hope you find exactly what you're looking for. I'm sure you'd get very close, to possibly spot-on, with the help of Mapex's customer support.
"Theory and Practice are ALWAYS identical...theoretically..."

Main: Saturn Studio, Paiste 2002/Alpha/Signature, custom rack
Workhorse Ludwig kit for small rooms or "scary" gigs.
ProdStuff: Heil & Karma Mics, Kelly-SHU, Tama RhythmWatch, ART HeadTap w/ Shure EC3 monitors

Noise Junkies Official Site

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users