• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Saturn

Saturn

Honored Member

• Official Member
  • 276 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:57 PM

Anyone out there have these that can give a review? I searched the forum but could find nothing...Thanks!:thumbup:

#2 5-0

5-0

Honored Member

• Official Member
  • 273 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:11 PM

Anyone out there have these that can give a review? I searched the forum but could find nothing...Thanks!:thumbup:

Is this the pedal you mean? http://www.musicrada...l-228238/review
Sidenote: this site is very good for musical instrument reviews.
Mapex M Birch Rock 24 (24x18, 12x9, 16x16, 14x5.5) in

Black Forest Cherry

Sonor 3005 (possible sale?) and Black Panther ( :thumbup: ) maple snares

Sabian XS20 and AAXplosion cymbals

Mapex/Gibraltar Hardware

#3 xsabers

xsabers

Members

• Official Member
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:57 PM

The Liquid Drive feature is on the 9600 hi-hat as well as the Ultra-adjust models. I own the UA and was not really aware of the trademarked Liquid Drive feature until researching this question. That said, here are my thoughts:

The Ultra Adjust stand has some great qualities and some not so great.

THE GREAT:
I can pretty much have my foot where I am comfortable and the cymbals where I want them. When I move to a double pedal (in the somewhat near future) I imagine that will be most adventageous. The stand is rock solid and all components are top of the line.

THE NOT-SO-GREAT:
The cymbal reaction is on the soft side compared to a direct drive set up. It is technically a remote HH, although the cymbals are on the same stand. It did take me a bit to adjust my playing when doing quick open/close hits. It is a fraction of a fraction of a second (my eyes can't really notice), but you can hear it at times.

The height adjustment is pretty much limited to the angle of the extension bar beween the ball joints. So if you want it higher or lower than when the bar is at horizontal, you give up lateral distance for altitude.

The adjustment process is tricky at first. You should take the cymbals off and loosen both ball joints until the stand moves freely. The range of motion is limited by the joints themselves as well as the cable assembly. Somtimes, you have to start over from the opposite direction if you reach the limits of the joint and still aren't in the desired position. The good thing is once it's set, it won't move.

It is by far the bulkiest HH stand you will ever see. Very heavy (high quality) and it takes up a lot of room due to the angles. I don't want to mess with the adjustments so I pack it carefully. The footboard does appear to be able to be folded (using a drum key), but I haven't really tried that yet.

I read about a a drummer using so that the hats were at 12 O'clock on his snare. That way he was not crossing over hand over hand. Don't know how that affected his tom placement though.
SilverMine (covers)
http://www.silvermineband.com

4th Guy Shining
http://www.4thguy.com

#4 xsabers

xsabers

Members

• Official Member
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:58 PM

Oh, and I don't use it with my Manhattan. I am going for small and portable with that kit.
SilverMine (covers)
http://www.silvermineband.com

4th Guy Shining
http://www.4thguy.com

#5 dingerjunkie

dingerjunkie

blatant gear whore

• Official Member
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:00 AM

I have a non U/A liquid-drive hat, and I have to say that I love the feel of the liquid-drive linkage. I would not like the feel of the cable in the U/A, but the pedal mechanics are nice...quiet, light, forceful, allows for a nice solid "chick" and easy footwork.
"Theory and Practice are ALWAYS identical...theoretically..."

Main: Saturn Studio, Paiste 2002/Alpha/Signature, custom rack
Workhorse Ludwig kit for small rooms or "scary" gigs.
ProdStuff: Heil & Karma Mics, Kelly-SHU, Tama RhythmWatch, ART HeadTap w/ Shure EC3 monitors

Noise Junkies Official Site

#6 Saturn

Saturn

Honored Member

• Official Member
  • 276 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:28 PM

Thanks for the reviews guys...great help! I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on non U/A version so feedback like this is a plus!

#7 Gord the Drummer

Gord the Drummer

Thread-Jack King

• Official Member
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:52 AM

You can't go wrong with the liquid drive hihats. I've been using them for a number of years, since I first tried one of the originals. Keep in mind, Gibraltar has had this system out longer than any other manufacturer, it really is the first non-direct pull hihat system. It's also the smoothest.

As for the pedals: Super fast, super light, high quality. I recommend trying them out to see if the feel suits you, but I use the dual-chain Intruder II's and love them. There really isn't much difference between the chain/direct drive versions. You really can't go wrong if it is the feel you are after. If you can't try them: Lightest feeling pedal on the market. If you like the feel of a heavier pedal, this one isn't for you.
-=Gord=-

#8 Saturn

Saturn

Honored Member

• Official Member
  • 276 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:24 AM

You can't go wrong with the liquid drive hihats. I've been using them for a number of years, since I first tried one of the originals. Keep in mind, Gibraltar has had this system out longer than any other manufacturer, it really is the first non-direct pull hihat system. It's also the smoothest.

sounds like what I'm after exactly, the price point sure doesn't hurt either!

As for the pedals: Super fast, super light, high quality. I recommend trying them out to see if the feel suits you, but I use the dual-chain Intruder II's and love them. There really isn't much difference between the chain/direct drive versions. You really can't go wrong if it is the feel you are after. If you can't try them: Lightest feeling pedal on the market. If you like the feel of a heavier pedal, this one isn't for you.

Does not sound like exactly what I'm after...I like a heavier medal for sure, sounds like this one isn't for me. Thanks a ton for that Gord!:thumbup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users