Mapex direct drive longboard???

7 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Augie, what the hell is this? I had no idea Mapex made a DD. Looks pretty old. Any ideas on it?

post_849_1247410936_ff2df8f45d85e3df10b7

Posted · Report post

The bass pedal that came with my kit (Mapex Mars, bought it in 2001) had a foot plate exactly like that, but was chain driven. This may be an old modified pedal.

Posted · Report post

They did have a direct drive linkage a loooooong time ago. It wasn't shaped for speed or aggressive playing though. This looks like that old pedal with a newer footboard attached. That's not a longboard, you just can't see most of the hinge.

Posted · Report post

...and here I was thinking it was a leaked photo of the new Janus pedals....:shock::shock: :D

Posted · Report post

Mapex had some really cool stuff on their older pedals... if only I could get this scanner working properly...

Posted · Report post

That is the correct footboard for that pedal. That pedal was available in the early 90's. I own 5 of them for display only as I don't use them. They are actually a pretty decent pedal if you like direct drive. Sure they're no Pearl Demon or Axis or Trick Pro V, but they aren't that bad. I don't remember there being a longboard. If that is a pic of someone else's pedal, the leg of the throne or stand is positioned just right so as you can't see the hinge very well. Believe it or not, the weakest link in those pedals was actually the drive itself. It was made of a potmetal and then chrome plated to look nice. They would constantly break where the drive attached near the beater. ( I have 3 broken pedals all in the same place.) You will also notice that there were different base plates available for these direct drive pedals and that I don't dust enough!! :laugh:

post_882_1247583488_c2d8dfd186b6114da822

post_882_1247583538_d16cfad93283aa9f8369

post_882_1247583551_fc3209073ae24bd5a67c

post_882_1247583574_fcea261edfcf2dc4e2b6

Posted · Report post

I stand corrected. Thanks Dean. :thumbup:

Looks like the footboard was the only thing on the pedal that was durable enough to use on future generations.