Hero
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
05WideGuy

WideGuy's New Acrolite

18 posts in this topic

Well, here it is, cleaned and polished with new heads and snares. Didn't need much cleaning, there was no rust not even light surface rust. The heads are Remo PS3, reso is Evans Hazy 300. Sounds real nice.

post-1264-0-75545400-1308100315_thumb.jp

post-1264-0-65720400-1308100167_thumb.jp

post-1264-0-29835900-1308100209_thumb.jp

post-1264-0-37034000-1308100248_thumb.jp

Looks kinda familiar... :-)

It must be pretty dry, a PS3 on an Acro...yes?

Jeremy

Looks kinda familiar... :-)

It must be pretty dry, a PS3 on an Acro...yes?

Jeremy

Yeah for sure, too dry for my liking.

The Acro is a nice, dry shell already. Partially due to the aluminum, and I think also partially to the bearing edge. It's a pretty large-radius bend, which makes for a large contact area which I think damps the head. Kinda like the rounded bearing edge on the Blaster series. Try a standard coated single on that puppy!

Jeremy

wow looks nice. Although I will agree that aluminum is dry for a metal shell it's not drier than most wood snares so I don't really feel a PS3 is going to kill the drum, I used to use various PS3 heads on mine with much success (my favorite was using a Renaissance PS3 over a Renaissance snare side with Grover snares).

excellent! I love aluminum shells. It's all I will use now.

My go-to snare batter is the Aquarian Focus-X, why I chose the PS3 is because I've never used one, so I thought I'd give one a try. This is also my first aluminum snare, I expected it to sound similar to my steel Rogers snare . I'm going to try a Focus-X and see what happens. I'll try the PS3 on my Saturn snare.

Edited by 05WideGuy

the ps3 and focus x are pretty similar. Only differences to my ear is that the aquarians sound a little warmer. Design wise the coatings will be different, films are different, and the collars are different.

IMHO the Aquarians use better technology.

The PS3 seems to be heavier and thicker than a Focus-X, I'm going to give one (Focus-X) a try; if it isn't a good fit, what's a good recommendation for the Acrolite?

Coated single - Amb, G1, etc. You can always use the drum's damper lightly or a piece of gel if you think it's too ringy, but I doubt you will.

Jeremy

I Love Aluminum myself. I have a 6.5 10 lug acro and just pulled the trigger on a 5" supra. I have a brass shelled snare and a steel shell snare but they don't get the traffic my aluminum snares do.

Edited by Ginger Bonzo

Hey Joel, what ever became of this snare? Did you ever re-head it?

Jeremy, yeah man, I put coated Ambassador on it, sounds great with a light touch of the internal muffler. hanks for resurrecting this old thread!

I've finally got mine sounding great, such that I can see why the Supra has supposedly been the most recorded snare.

I have a sentimental attachment, I'm an old coot who grew up in the 70's when every student played an acro and every pro set had a supra.