Jump to content

Guest - Member Global Message

This is the Header Alert Global Message description. This message can be changed in your themes acp.

Hero
MyImageName

Banner 1 Title


MyImageName

Banner 2 Title


MyImageName

Banner 3 Title


Sticks4drums

My 11 Piece Premier Black Shadow kit!

Recommended Posts

These are the drums I lusted after in my late teens. I still have the original brochure from when I was 16. Two years ago I pieced together a 5 piece kit, with separates I bought off of ebay. I have since got enough drums to make what I have today, with all period Tri lok, hardware. 

Sizes are 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 x 2, 18 toms.
14 x 8 snare
22 x 16 x 2 bass drums.

 

IMG_4112_zpsed9d5c5c.jpgIMG_4114_zps0b6902ac.jpgIMG_4113_zpsd7275941.jpg

Edited by Sticks4drums
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn Sticks! Beautiful kit. I feel like I say that a lot, and it's never about the same kit. Lol. And keeping it 80's with the black dot heads. My big passion back in the day wasa Yamaha Recording Custom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn Sticks! Beautiful kit. I feel like I say that a lot, and it's never about the same kit. Lol. And keeping it 80's with the black dot heads. My big passion back in the day wasa Yamaha Recording Custom.

Thanks Spinadude!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I guess it is my 13 piece kit now.  I bought some 1970 Premier black bongos off of ebay last year, and finally got around to putting a Premier mount on the 8", and making a mount for it.  

 

IMG_4126_zps493b3f79.jpgIMG_4125_zps94aa4732.jpgIMG_4123_zps0de193f6.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that's an epic kit... is what i would have said if it weren't for the fact that you have more epic sized kits than this!

They all have their own unique epic ness about them. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was showing this kit some love over the last couple of days. This is the dream kit of my youth, that I had to wait until recently to find and purchase.   I finally took them completely apart, to give them a proper cleaning.  These drums are unique that they have an inner liner of birch to make an inner sound chamber.  You need to carefully remove this liner in order to remove all the hardware on the drum.  I also put the 18" gong drum on the floor, and put the extra 22" bass drum up as a gong base instead.  

IMG_1523_zpsyyudquyo.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1bd9_zpsi1jcbf62.jpeg

IMG_1517_zpshksw9ej5.jpg

Edited by Sticks4drums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

terrific. I love older Premier kits. I grew up playing on an XPK and APK kit at my school. They always sounded badass. When the Genista line came out, I started to lose interest.

I'd love to take this kit for a spin!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, logogogue said:

terrific. I love older Premier kits. I grew up playing on an XPK and APK kit at my school. They always sounded badass. When the Genista line came out, I started to lose interest.

I'd love to take this kit for a spin!

Thanks Logo.  Took another cool pic today from behind the kit.  

IMG_1533_zpsfn3ezizc.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those are Resonator's? I've never heard them up close. I always thought it was a cool concept.

Premier hardware is gorgeous. That diamond chrome plating. Nice stuff.

I never understood why Premier never really caught on in America. It seems Rod Morganstein was there biggest endorser and they didn't have many others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DiehardDIYer said:

Those are Resonator's? I've never heard them up close. I always thought it was a cool concept.

Premier hardware is gorgeous. That diamond chrome plating. Nice stuff.

I never understood why Premier never really caught on in America. It seems Rod Morganstein was there biggest endorser and they didn't have many others.

Yes that was their flagship Resonator at the time.  Ringo started with Premier. He only switched to Ludwig, because  Premier wouldn't give him the oyster pearl finish he wanted.  Just think how different things would be, if he had of stayed with Premier.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

true never made it big in the US... but it did have its following. The APK and XPK did pretty well I recall. My junior and high school had them.

I remember watching LIVE AID back when and most of the drummers were using Premier kits. And I so wanted one back then. I was about to get one but my drum shop sold me on the Granstar's instead... which I am not unhappy about... so ended up not having a Premier. The resonator kit was so cool back then... No screws sticking out on the inside of the shells. The only issue as I later figure out is, what the heck happens with the screws get loose!?

Sticks, I assure you, the drivers seat view does nothing to diminish my desire to play that kit! lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, my favorite of your collection.  I bet it was an oddly satisfying process to go through that whole kit and clean it up.  Lots of work, but more than worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, logogogue said:

true never made it big in the US... but it did have its following. The APK and XPK did pretty well I recall. My junior and high school had them.

I remember watching LIVE AID back when and most of the drummers were using Premier kits. And I so wanted one back then. I was about to get one but my drum shop sold me on the Granstar's instead... which I am not unhappy about... so ended up not having a Premier. The resonator kit was so cool back then... No screws sticking out on the inside of the shells. The only issue as I later figure out is, what the heck happens with the screws get loose!?

Sticks, I assure you, the drivers seat view does nothing to diminish my desire to play that kit! lol.

Thanks Logo.  Played it for an hour today, and really enjoyed it.  You can get all the hardware inside the shell, you just need to know the technique of carefully removing the inner liner that is just held in by friction.  I had to do it to every drum, then carefully replace again.  

1 hour ago, SpeedNinja said:

Ah, my favorite of your collection.  I bet it was an oddly satisfying process to go through that whole kit and clean it up.  Lots of work, but more than worth it.

Thanks Speedy!  It was definitely a labour of love.  I three years, I finally talked myself into doing it.  The liners make it that much more work, but give the interiors a beautiful clean look.  Even cleaner than a Mapex Saturn III, which is saying something.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sticks4drums said:

Thanks Logo.  Played it for an hour today, and really enjoyed it.  You can get all the hardware inside the shell, you just need to know the technique of carefully removing the inner liner that is just held in by friction.  I had to do it to every drum, then carefully replace again.  

 

Ah, I did not know this. I thought they were permanently affixed and just used a locktite of some kind to make sure nothing came loose. I remember a drum shop owner telling me he didn't like them because they sounded too hollow and dry, whatever he meant by that. I always assumed they would sound anything but, dry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DiehardDIYer said:

Ah, I did not know this. I thought they were permanently affixed and just used a locktite of some kind to make sure nothing came loose. I remember a drum shop owner telling me he didn't like them because they sounded too hollow and dry, whatever he meant by that. I always assumed they would sound anything but, dry.

They have a very controlled sound to them.  A very 80's rock sound.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sir Sticks, what can we do to encourage you to make a video of all your kits in action? You can just keep viewers to a select few who know a password, or just disable comments if you are concerned about negativity. You really should make something to show what your literal, historical musuem sounds like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


MyImageName

Image Description 1


MyImageName

Image Description 2


MyImageName

Image Description 3


×