Hero
Sticks4drums

[March 2017 KOTM] My New Mapex Saturn V in Red/Blue Hybrid Sparkle

56 posts in this topic

Well it has been a long wait, but I finally got 11 of the 13 pieces, so I got what I have, set up.  It is a rough draft, so I will be tweaking things for a little while, but the kit looks great, and sounds great.  The V is just that much more polished than my Saturn III.  The sound is very similar, but then the shells are basically the same, with new mounts and they tweaked the bearing edges a bit.  All and all this is a very nice set of drums.  This finish has put it at the top of the list of all my kits.  

IMG_0778.JPG

IMG_0777.JPG

IMG_0790.JPG

IMG_0791.JPG

IMG_0792.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

IMG_0794.JPG

IMG_0795.JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

IMG_0797.JPG

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0799.JPG

IMG_0800.JPG

IMG_0801.JPG

All I can say is WOW! So I guess it was worth the wait eh?

How does the stock snare sound? And what is the Pearl pedal for? 

Thanks Mikey!  The drums really do look amazing, especially in person.  The stock snare sounds great, like my other stock Saturn snares.  The pearl pedal is for the cable driven remote hat over on my right hand side, below my ride.  

1 minute ago, Sticks4drums said:

Thanks Mikey!  The drums really do look amazing, especially in person.  The stock snare sounds great, like my other stock Saturn snares.  The pearl pedal is for the cable driven remote hat over on my right hand side, below my ride.  

Ah yes, I see the aux. hats now.  I see you have them all miked up already? The Chris Adler Warbird looks outstanding, it's a piece of art!

The colour is awesome, I'm so glad I chose it as well. I have to get mine out of my dark basement, so I can really appreciate it.

Congrats buddy, finally!

:drool::drool:
The black ends on these drums give them a sexy look for sure with the purple base. Very sweeeeet. I see badges are all forward :D

Great color choice Glen. A keeper for sure.

Congrats..

Normally I'm a chrome hardware guy but this color with black hardware :drool:

That is about as sick as it gets !! My take would be that's as close to the Mt. Everest of Mapex kits one could ever want to see let alone own !! Would you be interested in adopting me so I can just live in that room?

I will have to show this to my wife so I can minimize the fact that now I own two kits . :)

Fantastic and enjoy !

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

Ah yes, I see the aux. hats now.  I see you have them all miked up already? The Chris Adler Warbird looks outstanding, it's a piece of art!

The colour is awesome, I'm so glad I chose it as well. I have to get mine out of my dark basement, so I can really appreciate it.

Congrats buddy, finally!

Thanks again Mikey!  

7 hours ago, OfficialDrummer said:

:drool::drool:
The black ends on these drums give them a sexy look for sure with the purple base. Very sweeeeet. I see badges are all forward :D

Great color choice Glen. A keeper for sure.

Congrats..

Normally I'm a chrome hardware guy but this color with black hardware :drool:

Thanks Augie!  Badges must always be forward! :)  I know what you are saying about Black hardware, and it would go very well with this finish.  It was not an option with this kit, as we know Mapex isn't about options any more.  This is also my first Mapex kit with chrome hardware, so I am happy about that.  Think purple Cuda, with chrome bumpers.  

5 hours ago, Soul4ever said:

That is about as sick as it gets !! My take would be that's as close to the Mt. Everest of Mapex kits one could ever want to see let alone own !! Would you be interested in adopting me so I can just live in that room?

I will have to show this to my wife so I can minimize the fact that now I own two kits . :)

Fantastic and enjoy !

Thank you very much.  The room turned out great, along with the rest of the barn.  Best decision I ever made, was to refurbish the old bank barn.  

Wow! that's unbelievable! Can't imagine it with the two missing pieces.

This isn't a gong drum, is it? it seems like a regular bass drum.

Congrat's they're really astonishing! 

23 minutes ago, kustomdk said:

Wow! that's unbelievable! Can't imagine it with the two missing pieces.

This isn't a gong drum, is it? it seems like a regular bass drum.

Congrat's they're really astonishing! 

Thanks Kusto!  It is called a gong bass when you hang it like that.  Mapex sells an 18" version.  

3 hours ago, Sticks4drums said:

Thanks Kusto!  It is called a gong bass when you hang it like that.  Mapex sells an 18" version.  

Ah! OK! I thought they don't have reso head! Anyway, Great killer drumset, like everyone you own!

And as @Soul4eversays, if you do ever think about adopting, would you consider twins (we both would come along with our Natural Ash Burl kits)? :drum2::lol::lol::lol:

Terrific setup as usual! How do you like the new adler snare? Do you have the ver1 of that one as well?

Gorgeous finish for sure.

10 hours ago, logogogue said:

Terrific setup as usual! How do you like the new adler snare? Do you have the ver1 of that one as well?

Gorgeous finish for sure.

Thanks Logo!  The Adler snare has a nice try pop to it.  I almost bought the original a few years back but didn't.  I jumped on this one.  

Congratulations Glen!   That really is a gorgeous kit.  I love a big sprawling set-up with different voices available to you at every turn.  I'm happy this all worked out for you after how long it took them to make it for you and ship it

Do you notice a difference in feel in how the heads respond due to the new bearing edge, or the SoniClear mounts?  Any more resonance and were they easier to tune than the Saturn III's?  How soon until those last two piexes arrive and you can complete the family?

I hope we get to hear the whole thing soon!  C'mon, post a video buddy!

Thanks Spina!  Initially the drums sound the same.  I will say the heads sit better on the bearing edges, which was always a problem with the older gen Saturn's.  The drums came pretty close to tuned, so I only had to tweak them.  They are still looking for the other two drums.  If they can't find them, they will order new ones.  Video?  Maybe some day. :)

Man, getting another look at the gorgeous kits Glen has littering the barn, especially this new one, it's hard to spew vitriol at Mapex, because they make such beautiful instruments.  They're like the little puppy who gnaws holes in your favorite sneakers, but then looks at you with his big soulful eyes before licking your face.  As Homer Simpson said to the sandwich that made him sick, "Ohhh how could I stay mad at you?"  

Thanks Spina!  That video pretty much sums up my feelings at the moment. :)

Oh man, the white kit looks so sad being cast off to the side like that!  Haha!

New kit looks great.   Hopefully your other two toms are here before another 11 months go by.  Can't wait to see the final arrangement.

7 hours ago, SpeedNinja said:

Oh man, the white kit looks so sad being cast off to the side like that!  Haha!

New kit looks great.   Hopefully your other two toms are here before another 11 months go by.  Can't wait to see the final arrangement.

Thanks Speedy!  The Arctic Monster is getting a well deserved rest. 

hey so with all of the these kits to play with, do you have a favourite?

1 hour ago, logogogue said:

hey so with all of the these kits to play with, do you have a favourite?

Well I think my white kit is my favourite all around kit.  I love the contrast with the black on white, and it has the best sound of all my kits.  The new kit is the most striking of the bunch now visually.  I still need to get the other toms, and the sound dialed in.  I am really missing the 13".  So many of my fills use that tom.  I still think the Saturn is the best sounding kit out there to my ears anyways.  

Finally getting a chance to say congrats...and finally! wwwooooohhhhooooo!!

She is a beauty indeed and definitely worth the wait but man was that ever an adventure for you! That finish IS stunning and especially being a bigger kit

you really get a good sense of it. Stoked for you dude, I hope you the other toms show up...can't imagine if you'd have to wait again!

Looks like April's Kit of the Month is decided :)

6 hours ago, emonzon said:

Finally getting a chance to say congrats...and finally! wwwooooohhhhooooo!!

She is a beauty indeed and definitely worth the wait but man was that ever an adventure for you! That finish IS stunning and especially being a bigger kit

you really get a good sense of it. Stoked for you dude, I hope you the other toms show up...can't imagine if you'd have to wait again!

Looks like April's Kit of the Month is decided :)

Thanks Emonzon!  

Well I got this little beauty today.  It is Danny Carey's sig ride.  Nice dry ride cymbal.  When I first saw this, I knew it would really look good with the new kit.  I was right.  

IMG_0814_zps1jxxdz1a.jpg

IMG_0815_zpshorqgjay.jpg

13 hours ago, Sticks4drums said:

Well I got this little beauty today.  It is Danny Carey's sig ride.  Nice dry ride cymbal.  When I first saw this, I knew it would really look good with the new kit.  I was right.  

IMG_0814_zps1jxxdz1a.jpg

IMG_0815_zpshorqgjay.jpg

That thing is a piece of art! Put it up on the wall! LOL.