Guest - Member Global Message

This is the Header Alert Global Message description. This message can be changed in your themes acp.

Hero
MyImageName

Banner 1 Title

MyImageName

Banner 2 Title

MyImageName

Banner 3 Title

SilenceFriction

[JAN-2017 K.O.T.M] Faded Glory - Mapex Pro M

Here is a project that I have been progressing for about two years. I bought a used maroon Mapex Pro M kit at Tacoma Guitar Center, and began working on the paint project in spring 2015. Having limited resources from a fixed income, the lacquer project extended into cold humid weather, which postponed it's completion. Spring of 2016 I was able to complete the color portion of the project, but unable to continue with the clear coat.

The drums were sanded to bare wood, interiors masked, and painted white lacquer. The white was masked and the red stripes were applied, re-masked and  the blue was applied. The red and blue colors are micro flake added to clear lacquer, not a colored paint. The application of white micro flake to the stars and white stripes, required much masking time.

It may be hard to notice in the pics, but I tried to present a gradual faded effect across the set, with the 10" tom being the most faded. This graduation is more apparent in person.

This is my live kit, so I am hoping to complete the clear coat this spring. A deep clear coat should bring out the shine of the flake colors much better, while adding luster also.

I haven't painted the snare drum, as I wish to replace it.

When it's all said and done, more gets said than done.

007.JPG

006.JPG

kit4.jpg

kit7.jpg

kit5.jpg

kit6.jpg

kit3.jpg

kit1.jpg

• Upvote 1

awesome!!! As a Cerakote Applicator, I love  the work you did. I am impressed by the amount of masking you did. If you ever do such a project again, I suggest getting an inexpensive Vinyl printer. (under $300) It'll make your job/time a lot faster and so much less frustrating. You can do just about anything with it. The clear coat will add a lot of pop to those colors and can't wait to see the final results!

Again, job well done and thanks for sharing! Glad to have you on the forum!

IMG_2410.JPG

• Upvote 1

Dude, that looks killer!  It should be amazing looking once you have the clear on it.  I can't wait to see the end results.  I can see the extra fading now that you mention it.  I wasn't totally sure if it was just the lighting or the paint.

1 hour ago, logogogue said:

As a Cerakote Applicator,

You've just been added to my short list of Cerakoters.  I'm still collecting parts for my next project.  Once it's built and tested, I'll have to send some stuff off for TiN coating and some stuff off for cerakoting... then I have to rebuild and retest it.  Testing might have to take place in the wilderness unless I can find a friendly range nearby... but I'll have three more projects requiring various amounts Cerakote after this one.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, OfficialDrummer said:

Well done, so much so it was named Jan 2017 Kit Of The Month

CONGRATS!!!  Much deserved!!!

• Upvote 1

On 1/3/2017 at 7:26 AM, logogogue said:

awesome!!! As a Cerakote Applicator, I love  the work you did. I am impressed by the amount of masking you did. If you ever do such a project again, I suggest getting an inexpensive Vinyl printer. (under $300) It'll make your job/time a lot faster and so much less frustrating. You can do just about anything with it. The clear coat will add a lot of pop to those colors and can't wait to see the final results!

Again, job well done and thanks for sharing! Glad to have you on the forum!

IMG_2410.JPG

Thanks. Yes, there is a huge amount of masking. I counted around 200 pieces for the white flake application alone. I am old school. Make do with what I have, skills and materials. Determination is a great asset., as well. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it. I learned a long time ago to - "Plan Your Work, and Work Your Plan" - You can't fail, but only successfully administer a faulty plan.

• Upvote 1

On 1/3/2017 at 3:34 PM, OfficialDrummer said:

Well done, so much so it was named Jan 2017 Kit Of The Month

And the profile to our drummer who kindly shared this awesome kit with us. That's a million dollar profile pic in this profile too.. :thumbup:
https://www.officialdrummer.com/forum/profile/7641-silencefriction/

Congrats and welcome to Official Drummer

Thank you so much. I am honored.

40th reunion.jpg

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, kustomdk said:

Congrats on your KOTM! is there a better way to began a year of drumming?:drum:

Not likely, but my 12/31/2016 purchase hasn't yet been delivered. Thanks!

mars pro 1.png

Edited by SilenceFriction
spelling
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, SilenceFriction said:

Not likely, but my 12/31/2016 purchase hasn't yet been delivered. Thanks!

mars pro 1.png

Duuuuude!  I had one of those Mars Pro SE kits in the same exact color!  It was a standard 5 piece, but I miss it.  Great drums!