Guest - Member Global Message

This is the Header Alert Global Message description. This message can be changed in your themes acp.

Hero
MyImageName

Banner 1 Title

MyImageName

Banner 2 Title

MyImageName

Banner 3 Title

Sign in to follow this  
powershack

Powershack

Hello to all the fellow drummers of the world! I'm Rob, a disabled former drummer from Rhode Island trying to rekindle the drumming spark and meeting new people! And fellow drummers, I've found, are the best people to have as friends! Just found this site and I'm looking forward to some good conversation, sharing stories and learning a few things! Keep the beat driving!

• Upvote 2

Welcome to the forum!!! Awesome to have you here. It's great to read your getting back to drumming. There is nothing like drum therapy!!!

you have a setup yet or are you thinking about getting another kit? 

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the welcome Logogogue! I used to play a 10 pc. Rogers double bass kit in my hay day. I know! That shows my  age a bit but I really loved that kit! As an adult I inherited my son's Pearl kit. Three years ago I was in a near fatal motorcycle crash. After more than thirty surgeries they rebuilt my right arm (about 30% of what it used to be) I am fused at the elbow and the plastic surgeons were able to make my left arm about 40% of capacity (only one bone connecting the hand to the arm and the wrist doesn't actuate that well. So, I'm now trying to resume with a Roland TD-6WK electronic kit. I've fitted the sticks with pipe insulation so that I can hold them. I've had to jump to the electronic kit because my lack of striking power and limited range of motion. It has been a real challenge starting from the very beginning again but has been good therapy for my arms and hands! Not to mention the mind! Joining this forum I hope will be encouraging and good for my head, as well as keeping the fire burning through the boring but challenging times! Thanks again for saying hi!

• Upvote 1

Dude, that's one hell of a story.  Glad to hear you're making a comeback!  Sounds like you have the right idea using an e-kit.  I'm sure playing drums again will help with recovery and any physical therapy you need.

Have you considered using more pedals and kick triggers instead of tom/cymbal pads?  It's a lot more footwork, which has it's challenges, but you might be able to lessen the burden on you arms and gain some more sound sources.  Have you had to change your grip styles or come up with something new?

Also, there's several of us who are gearheads here.  If you're still into talking about bikes, feel free.  If not, I completely understand.

• Upvote 2

Well Speed, thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm still learning the kits operation! There are so many possibilities with it! You have to be a computer/sound engineer to figure out mapping, pad assignment, adding pads, how MIDI works. It's a lot to learn but I'm learning, slow but learning. I have thought of using more pedals to compensate for my limitations and I am determined! The equipment, just like drum hardware is expensive. I picked up a couple keyboard sustain pedals (because of price) and I am trying to use them as bass and hi-hat pedals to trigger sounds, toms, samples ect. but they don't actuate like real pedals do. They have latency issues. I'm keeping my eyes open for some used gear that I can repair and customize to fit my needs. There aren't a lot of experts around locally for this type of thing. I went to Guitar Center in my area and the drum guy there didn't have a world of knowledge in E-Drums. I picked up Superior Drummer 2.0 and this helps me fill in the things I can't physically do fast enough. I can add and take away notes, mix sounds. It's a great program and I think I really like the aspect of recording, playing, mixing and arranging! As far as bikes, I still love bikes!  My family doesn't even like the mention of word! They made me sell all of them. I had a beautiful chromed out customized Harley Davidson, a Honda 954 RR, and a YZ 250!  All history now but I still love them! Thanks for taking the time to help me out and give me a few ideas

If it makes you feel better, a couple friends of mine are somewhat recording/sound engineers and even they do minimal work to get an okay drum sound on the e-kit.  They are definitely overwhelming.  Everything I learned on my friend's kit is useless since he runs it through a midi controller and software on his computer.  He's getting new software, so I'll wait until I bother learning that.  He doesn't have as nice a kit as you do, but this is one of the few things in life where the instruction manual was incredibly helpful for making adjustments, even though it's tedious.  I've used those sustain type pedals before and I'll agree with you on the lack of control with them.  If I see any used stuff for cheap, I'll let you know.  We've been getting more interest on e-drums here lately, and I've been forced into it, so I wouldn't be surprised if information starts picking up about them.

Sounds like you had all your bases covered on the bikes!  My dad and uncle used to race.  They were into Suzuki stuff.  I was looking to buy a cheap bike (Indian, Victory or Kawasaki) recently, but ended up getting a second car which my brother can drive when he's home on leave.  I'll probably still get the license when my weekends clear up.  With all the oddball unpredictable foreign drivers around here, and the overpopulation, I'm somewhat nervous in the Jeep.  So I doubt I'd do a lot of bike riding unless I can find a group to hang with.

• Upvote 1

Welcome aboard, Powershack.

A very inspirational personal story there. More power to you, brother.

I have a TrapKat and some sound modules and yeah, us old dog new tricks people find the programming a lot to deal with. I found it aggravating enough to go back to acoustics. I still have everything and if and when I have the space will set it up again. Of course, by now the battery in the Trap Kat has died and all my set-ups are gone. Will have to start from scratch. Fun.

I've read articles about drums for therapy, both mental and physical, as well as drumming having positive effects on brain function because of the coordination aspects the mind and body are put through. Good blessings on you as you get back into it all.

And yeah, Rogers were the Cadillac back then, man. I had a big Ludwig set but, I dreamed of having Rogers.  I imagine your original kit (wherever it is) would bring a nice price on the vintage market today.

All my relatives are from R.I. Woonsocket area. Haven't seen them in many years. I remember body surfing at Misquamicut as a hurricane was coming up the coast. Chipped a tooth getting caught in the undertow. Cop chased us out of there. :-) The only time I have ever been knocked out was slipping and falling on some rocks on a beach around Warwick. Lots of memories from Rhode Island.

DIY'er, started running my Rolands through Reaper as well as Superior Drummer 2.0 through reaper. Man, so much to learn! That DAW is incredible for the price! I've been playing around with it and this program has so many functions! That sucks about your batteries dying! I don't know how big of a sample library and custom kits you had but I sure do know that you had some time invested. I hope to get back to the acoustic sets again but I'm physically just not there yet. Yeah, Woony has changed a lot in recent years but it's still ok! Man, the beaches here in Rhode Island are beautiful and in the summer, what a great place to be! Yeah, the waves can mess you up pretty bad! When a super storm like a hurricane coming in really stirs them up! Great memory and cool story to tell! Not many can say they were body surfing in a super storm! That's an elite group! I'll keep moving forward and let God and my friends pick me up when I fall! Great talking with you and thanks for the story!