Guest - Member Global Message

This is the Header Alert Global Message description. This message can be changed in your themes acp.

Hero
MyImageName

Banner 1 Title

MyImageName

Banner 2 Title

MyImageName

Banner 3 Title

Sign in to follow this  
DiehardDIYer

26" - Unbelievable

I just can't justify the expense (500$) BUT, this thing is INCREDIBLE!

I had a 26" medium heavy ping back in the 70s. This Gian Beat is just glorious. Listen to this guy (Ben White?) mess around with it.

I've never been one for B8 alloy for a ride but this cymbal breaks that mold for me. Strange color for B8, as well. Looks like brass.

That is a giant chunk of bronze.  I wouldn't mind having one, even though it's a bit gongy as a crash.  I couldn't justify $500 though.  That's LeMons car money.

I think what impresses me the most about the cymbal is the maintaining of the distinct tip sound not shadowed by wash which one would expect on such a large unit, yet the cymbal is not "dry" or dark sounding. And it seems to respond even with a light touch which is also unusual. I like the bell, too. I actually think the crash is pretty good for a 26. Everything is lower pitched but, it has some big character. I am really intrigued by it. I will definitely watch out for used ones. 

Well, I pulled the trigger and purchased one. I now own "the Lion of Paiste," as I have dubbed it.

Some immediate observations. I had a 26" Zildjian med-hvy Ping back in the 70s. It was nothing like this.

The size of the cymbal is striking. The color of the cymbal is different. It is so loud it literally drowns out the rest of the set if you ride its edge. The instrument is so sensitive you can get a beautiful tone even using VF SD6 Echo's, which are maple, tiny tipped sticks for light jazz.

I had the cymbal up around 4' and it just seemed like a jet engine in my face. I rearranged the cymbals and put it down around 3' and it changed things for the better, though if you strike the edge it is still extreme, just not as extreme and the rest of the set can breathe. But seriously, if you ride the edge and crash a 20" right next to it you can hardly hear it. The 18 is somewhat there. The 15 cuts through. Most of the time you have cymbals trying to cut through everything else around the set. In this case your cymbals are trying to cut through your cymbal.

It's low pitch is still musical, and the bell. I use maple sticks, birch sticks, now the Boso bamboo, all softer than typical hickory sticks. I have some oak sticks I tried but, don't favor or use but, striking the bell with hickory or oak could conceivably hurt your ear drum, it is that loud and forceful. You hear this cymbal in videos and it just does not capture what this monster can do.

I generally like cymbals that have a seemingly natural "hiss" or "sizzle" to their sound, which this has. It's pretty mesmerizing; a cymbal this big can be so sensitive. You can ride it at any velocity and the wash never rises to overpower the ping.

I believe the greenish tint is applied somehow. I first thought the cymbal was nickel/silver with some trace element that gave it the different color. I noticed the edge has the typical CuSn8 color, the more reddish hue of B8 cymbals compared to B20 bronze. What is on the flat surface of Giant Beats, I don't know.

Crashing the cymbal is not gongy sounding, and when Paiste markets these rides as multi-purose instruments they get that right. The deep pitch because of its size is not what you would call a crash cymbal but, it is a crash sound next to thicker rides that don't crash well.

In a live setting this thing will make its presence known, for sure but, for me recording it will be the task and this cymbal has a sound quite different from all rides I have owned. It should really stand out. 

At first I liked it but, didn't love it. That is changing day by day. This will be the last ride I purchase (unless I can find another original Chester Thompson ride out there somewhere). It has a lot of character and its own personality.

If ride cymbals tend to be the boss of a cymbal set up, this thing is king. Nothing could unseat it. Any other ride in a kit (I generally have 3) just bows to this regal instrument.

That's huge man.  I picked up a vintage 24" Zildjian a while back and it dwarfs everything.  I can only imagine how imposing that beast is.  Good to hear you're digging it after dropping all that cash.

good lawd man! 26"!!!! so freaking cool. I saw a Dream that was 26 once at NAMM and thought it was pretty rad idea just to have 26" of cymbal... but then thought of the practicality of gigging with it and my laziness won over my wonder and moved on. lol.

But a Paiste 26? I wish to hear it!!! Congrats on an over the top awesome ride.

Wholly crap! That thing looks like a Spartan's shield! It sounds good for it's size. I expected a more gongy type sound. It's a 500 dollar cymbal? That's a hefty price tag! I like the sound! Not so much the price!

Indeed, the price is up there. On the other hand, I have been shocked by the price of rides lately, some being more expensive than this Giant Beat, and smaller in size, at that. Almost $600 for a Sabian 22 Artisan, or Meinl 22" Byzance models, Paiste 22" 602's, Signatures, and other models,  it's crazy. Everybody has raised their prices all at once, it seems.

In the past I generally get used rides if I'd like something else. I haven't seen any used 26" Giant Beats. I guess those who get them, keep them.

Had a few minutes and made a new video with the 26" and the stacked plywood set. One thing I did not do is ride the edge of the cymbal. Not because I don't ride the edge of my rides, I do, it's just that riding the edge of this Giant Beat is so loud it literally drowns out the resat of the cymbals. I call it - the Green Monster.  I do love the cymbal, though. It is incredibly responsive at any velocity. You'd think you have to really lay into it to get it going but, not so. 

• Upvote 1

That thing is a lot more articulate than I was expecting.

Those plywood drums are still my favorite thing ever.