Guest - Member Global Message

This is the Header Alert Global Message description. This message can be changed in your themes acp.

Hero
MyImageName

Banner 1 Title

MyImageName

Banner 2 Title

MyImageName

Banner 3 Title

DiehardDIYer

Mapex Tube lugs for bass drum/ mount base

I got a Mapex 18x24 bass drum back in the 90s. I still have the shell in my big set. I don't remember what series its from. I want to say Saturn but ... Someone here would know. I have saved the lugs all these years, and the base mount. I don't remember but, I'm pretty sure the two black pieces are involved somehow. I don't remember anything else. If something is missing let me know what it looks like. I may have it somewhere. I don't generally throw stuff away. I really don't have an accurate idea what the stuff is worth. If anyone is interested make me an offer and we'll see. Thanks for looking.

Mapex.thumb.jpg.c787db002cf696752fe0fa4abed2bf07.jpg

• Upvote 1

Yes, Saturn (Pro) Series.  You're missing the plate that the mount bolts to.  Two points mount under the lug bodies, the other two points clamp onto the tubes with those large black bushings.  Scope out the 1997/8 catalog I have posted.  You'll see it.

• Upvote 1

Hold on... I should've reviewed the catalog closer.  You have a collection of parts.  Saturn used those lugs for their bass drum ITS, like later versions, but had the newer non-tube lugs.  The Mars Pro bolted the tom mount directly into the bass drum.  I also don't believe the 24" was available with a tom mount.  Those black clips are definitely Saturn though.  I just saw those and ignored the rest of the lugs were full tube lugs.

So ... it would make more sense to just try and sell the lugs by themselves, then.

Maybe I'll just keep the lugs and use them on a snare drum or something. I need to make a plywood snare for the plywood set. I'll just shorten the tubes.

Edited by DiehardDIYer

Oh man... that kind of breaks my heart from a restoration standpoint.  That's mostly because I roughly know how few of those 18" length lugs exist, and I like them.

If you end up taking them apart would you mind posing up the ID/OD and estimating the wall thickness?  I spot these shells for sale missing the tubes on occasion.  I'd eventually like to restore one.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SpeedNinja said:

Oh man... that kind of breaks my heart from a restoration standpoint.  That's mostly because I roughly know how few of those 18" length lugs exist, and I like them.

If you end up taking them apart would you mind posing up the ID/OD and estimating the wall thickness?  I spot these shells for sale missing the tubes on occasion.  I'd eventually like to restore one.

For sure.
Low production of that custom order tom to begin with. Now years later, many years later even harder to find or get.

I'm sure there's someone out there with a 24" kick who has some bent or missing lugs.  There's a 3-piece shell pack on eBay right now that someone has thrashed and dismantled.  These drums pop up from time to time, not always that bad off, but still in need of lugs.  The 24" kick you took apart is damn near unicorn status.

I guess these wouldn't work on a 20" bass drum. Do they? Could you send me their length (in cm please) from lug bolt to lug bolt?

They would if your 20" bass drum is 18" deep, but I don't think 20x18" was a size offered back then.  You'd also only have 8 lugs on a 20" drum.  Not a bad thing to have extras though.

On 6/3/2017 at 5:13 PM, SpeedNinja said:

They would if your 20" bass drum is 18" deep, but I don't think 20x18" was a size offered back then.  You'd also only have 8 lugs on a 20" drum.  Not a bad thing to have extras though.

Sorry, I need replacements for my 22" bass drum They're slightly different, but I'll look if they fit.