Guest - Member Global Message

This is the Header Alert Global Message description. This message can be changed in your themes acp.

Hero
MyImageName

Banner 1 Title

MyImageName

Banner 2 Title

MyImageName

Banner 3 Title

Sign in to follow this  
SpeedNinja

Brandon Burkhalter

So my YouTube is pumping through random drum covers of songs.  Some I'm familiar with and some I'm not.  A song I do know pops up and I notice this guy is shredding the original track to pieces.  I take a look at the screen and his face is familiar... he was the original drummer for Polyphia.  This dude can play.  Very, very well.  (I've posted a video of him playing a Mapex Raptor double pedal elsewhere.)

For those of you who are afraid of metal...

Definitely someone influenced by the gospel chops players. He looks so young. I feel like I watched the evolution of this kid. Block walls and keeps pushing his hair back, so serious, to studio paddings, new haircut looking like Elijah Wood, then he finally breaks a smile while playing.

He has spent the time, that's for sure.

Had not heard of Polyphia before. Another band, Chon, in the rotation. Had not heard of them. Sounds like the same genre. Technical players. Very talented, all these kids.

Makes me feel old.

9 hours ago, DiehardDIYer said:

Definitely someone influenced by the gospel chops players.

Nope.  Metal.  He wanted to keep playing heavier music, hence the split with the band.  My guitarist buddy gets those (and others) mixed up too.  It's really interesting how two different styles have evolved and now crossed stylistic paths. 

Hm. Well, he makes mention of gospel chops on a video I saw last night after watching him. His fills between hands and feet are not played by any metal drummers I have ever seen. They have gospel chops written all over them. What metal drummers play like that?

He may want to play metal and use that stuff which is cool. I'd like to know what players influenced him. I just never saw metal drummers do those combinations before.

15 hours ago, DiehardDIYer said:

What metal drummers play like that?

I'm not typing out my entire music library.

LOL. No. You certainly need not do that. Just a couple would suffice. Having watched the more well known metal players may I guess  the players using such hand and foot combinations are guys from more obscure corners of the genre?

Um... I guess that's one way to look at it.  The well known vs obscure thing is weird to me, from a metal genre standpoint.  Metal is almost not supposed to be a well known thing.  (Mainly because outsiders tell us nobody listens to it, so we keep it hidden.  Also because we're usually all supportive of each other and fairly equal, no matter the fame level.)  You're supposed to be going out there, hitting up small gigs, meeting guys face to face... so nobody is big or small, better or worse.  To us, seeing the guys who can only afford to play within the local neighboring counties are the guys we watch and learn from.

I'll come back and post up some more easily accessible bands/names when they pop up on the randomized play list.  Most of what I'm thinking of may be harder for you to look up.  I don't know who is at what level.  If I hear something brutal, I buy the album.  They could've recorded themselves in a garage or had tens of thousands of dollars from a label backing them.  At any rate, the "gospel pattern" is fairly normal stuff which pretty much everyone plays, but the gospel guys play it faster, therefore they can squeeze a lot more hits in a "standard" timing measure.  Gospel guys aren't the only ones who play fast.  (A lot of metal drummers use ghost notes too, btw.)

Oh, I'd say many metal drummers play as fast or faster than the gospel chops players. Certainly when it comes to foot speed. By comparison, for sure, endurance with speed.

I got seasick. Way over-produced for me.

Nice composition, though. Very Italian classical/opera-sounding, like 70s Italian prog.  What was the name of that band? PFM; was/is probably the most well known.  Great band.  (*looked it up - Premiata Forneria Marconi).  Still out playing with some original members. I haven't them in 40 years. Brings back memories.

Anyway, this kid has super-chops, for sure.

I actually read the YT comments on this one.  I sent it to a friend and he freaked out that there were so many dislikes.  Turns out a lot of people hated the camera work.  I didn't notice it at first since I just listened to the audio at work.  I agree though.  The camera wobble is a bit much.

He's got a lot more videos done similarly... in music, not with the camera work.