Hero
SpeedNinja

Awesome M Birch kit on eBay

7 posts in this topic

It looks like a double bass kit that's been split into two sets.  Item numbers 232265635249 and 332149515347

Black forest green 8x8, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 16x16, 22x18, 22x18, no snare

It's been relisted a couple times that I've seen, the price didn't drop the last time.  I wish I had the money to buy it and just look at it.

It's your 

4 hours ago, SpeedNinja said:

It looks like a double bass kit that's been split into two sets.  Item numbers 232265635249 and 332149515347

Black forest green 8x8, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14, 16x16, 22x18, 22x18, no snare

It's been relisted a couple times that I've seen, the price didn't drop the last time.  I wish I had the money to buy it and just look at it.

It's your colour!

Dude, I know.  I had to post them here hoping someone else would buy them so I'm not tempted anymore!

That seems like a fairly decent total price for that large a set of birch drums. If you have some mounting hardware you are good. Hardware though ... $$ shoots through the roof. Pedals, hi-hat, snare and stand, tom mts, whatever cymbal hardware to start.

I love green. Not a great fan of the black fade but, it's nice.

What does the 'M' stand for? I can assume "Mapex" birch but, ... something else?

I did like the straight green better as well, but these are cool too.  I wish these came with black nickel hardware on the shells.  It is a good price for the shell packs.  The shipping kills it though.  I have another large set that I'd just swap the hardware back and forth with.

The M Series took over for the Mars and Mars Pro series.  Around that time Mapex went to a lettering designation for everything but the Saturn and Orion lines.  The Venus series became V Series when changes were made to it as well.  The Q and QR series popped up soon after.  I think it's just a fad Mapex was going through.  I think they realized it wasn't popular and brought back real names with Meridian, Mars, Armory, Voyager (used to be a Venus configuration name) and Storm.  The only one really out of line in their traditional naming scheme is Armory.  I think they should have named it Mars Pro.

Now here I will say, while the name Mapex never had the ring to it other company names have for me, the use of astronomical names for their stuff was cool. I always liked that theme.

I agree.  It's kind of like the "star" names from Tama.  It's their unique thing, and it's great.  Stick with it.

I always wondered if Mapex was supposed to be Apex, or where Mapex came from.  I think we had a thread on this years ago.  Never figured it out.  I was given a couple different meanings for Tama, and I think it depends on accents or something, but it could mean field or spirit/soul.  I think they were going for the spirit/soul vibe, which is cool.