Hero
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DiehardDIYer

Ebay sticks

7 posts in this topic

I call these ebay sticks simply because they are no-name sticks made by guys (or gals) with a lathe and they just turn them out like crazy. How can you go wrong getting bricks of sticks for 15 - 25$?

I cannot say the last time I used wood tip sticks. 1991 maybe? I have used nylon tip for so long I forgot what wood tips feel and sound like. So, after wondering what that sound was like I pulled a couple really old Promarks out of the bucket and wailed away on a new ride, from Stagg, which is very cool.

I thought the sound on the cymbal was okay BUT, the sound on the toms was very pleasing so, ebay.

I have gotten nylon tipped maple sticks off ebay for years - On Stage, Stagg, no-name sticks. Twelve pair at a time or more. Sometimes you definitely get what you pay for with tips flying off, warped sticks and all. This time I got some 5B Maple and 5A oak in wood tips. I never tried oak sticks before because of the weight. I always liked maple because of the weight per diameter ratio. You get more stick but not, the weight of hickory. These 5B maple are really nice sticks.  5Bs are generally too big for me in hickory and even maple, sometimes. For 20 years I've been using 5B Ghosts, from Kittools, which are birch.  I am impressed all the way around with these no-namers. The 5A oak are a bit rough on the shoulder and neck. Could have used a little more sanding. Otherwise they are sanded smooth on the shaft. I feel they should be a tad longer. They make a great jazz stick, though. They both came straight, no hockey sticks, which is unusual. Whoever made them wasn't just sending out whatever he could make regardless of quality.

They come just the natural wood finish. I have the maple drying with some coats of finish on them. Oak next. I just dip them in a gallon of whatever I have, poly, sanding sealer, shellac, whatever. They all work fine for me to give me that slick feel.

muzictopia and midwestguy513 are the merchants I ordered from. Looks to me like the sticks are made by the same shop. Just a plain white wrapper and a simple stamp of the model on them.

I also ordered some bamboo sticks from Roso (recently found out about them) but, they haven't arrived. I'm really looking forward to trying them after what I've read. I'll review those when they get here. They were expensive like all the other manufacturers out there. Sticks cost a lot today. I'm not willing to pay 9 or 10 bucks for a pair of sticks I know are going to just wear out or snap. I tend to drop my sticks, too, and need a decently filled pouch to draw from. $60 is just not going to work for me. Bamboo, being a grass, is claimed to have greater strength than hickory, to last longer. Supposed to be lighter than hickory, too. We'll see. I hope so.  Actually they have a dark bamboo that is slightly heavier and a ply mix that weighs about the same.

I'm getting to the point where it makes more sense to make my own sticks. Just need to invest in a small lathe but, logically I can buy a whole bunch of sticks to last years for the price of a lathe. I just can't experiment with various woods and shapes. Someday. 

For you guys that go through sticks fairly quickly, maybe some beefy oak off ebay are the answer. Oh, and btw, I asked what a 2A is some time back and no one knew. I ordered some 2A maple today from the same seller and it looks like the same shop. We'll see what they are.

I'm always looking for the perfect stick. Haven't found it yet.

Bamboo sticks?  I'm going to have to try a pair of those.

Posted (edited)

Oops. My bad. Boso sticks, not Roso.

bosodrumsticks.com

Edited by DiehardDIYer

Just received the 5b Oak and 2A Maple sticks.  Still no sign of the Bamboo.

The 5B is nice. It's actually lighter than some old 5B hickory sticks I have.

The 2A is very nice. It falls in between a 5A and 5B for width. It's pretty light. I like it a lot. I've been enjoying the 5B's but, these 2A may be the ones.

They all have different tips. Not sure if the maker is following manufactured designs or just trying out different things and settling on what he likes for each model.

5B Oak - 5B Maple - 2A Maple - 5A Oak

sticks.jpg.e7dbbd023241cbd42d64907950f8b0a0.jpg

Are they fairly straight, and somewhat weigh matched?

No warped ones so far. Most all are quite straight. The Maple are a little more refined than the Oak. The 5A Oak are nicer on the shaft. The 5B I will take some sand paper too before I finish them.  One has a chunk out of it at the butt. They shouldn't have let that one through.

As far as weight matched. Having removed them all from their sleeves all I have are 24 sticks from each model. No actual pairs. In weighing them there are some interesting differences. The 5B Oak feel the most different just grabbing sticks but, four sticks weigh in at 37 grams. Four sticks at 47-49. The rest all between 50 - 58 grams. I'd say they paired them off to be pretty close. 

Okay, so, Boso sticks. Still a no show and it'll be three weeks tomorrow. Used the companies online form to see what is going on, and no reply. Also, I asked if the price was for 1 stick, or 1 pair, because it kind of dawned on me that is not quite clear at the site.

No way I am paying $9.49 a stick. I don't care what it's made from but, especially not grass so plentiful it's a nuisance in many places. I asked for a refund if the price is for 1 stick instead of a pair.

I just sent the owner an email. Like I said, three weeks, no info, no reply, no sticks, and I would not order from this company because I get the feeling they do not have their act together yet.

I'll follow-up.