Hero
Jerry Skiddz

Mapex Orion drums needed

7 posts in this topic

Hey all!

I'm trying to put together a shell bank of Mapex Orions, and all I need now are a 15" tom or floor tom, and a 22" (and possibly a 20") bass drum. Any finish/finish condition is fine, so long as the shell is still good structurally, and the hardware (chrome) isn't jacked up (I'd actually prefer a bad finish, so I could save some cash, haha).  Looking for the version with the silver badge that says "Mapex Orion Series".  Thank you.

I'll keep an eye out, but I try to stay off eBay/craigslist to keep myself from spending money these days.

1 hour ago, SpeedNinja said:

I'll keep an eye out, but I try to stay off eBay/craigslist to keep myself from spending money these days.

Much appreciated!  I've been scouring eBay, Reverb, Music-Go-Round, Guitar Center used gear, Sam Ash used gear, and Craigslist (ALL Craigslists across the US), without much luck on these.  I may end up just getting Saturn 3 bass drums, but that 15" Orion tom is probably gonna be a pain to find.  I'm holding off on going the Saturn route for now, just in case I can find an Orion kit with the 15" and one (or both?) of the bass drums I need.  However, if I find the 15" Orion separately, I'll likely just buy Saturn kicks since they're pretty easy to find.

It all started on Craigslist actually...  Stumbled across an endorser-owned Orion (not Orbiter), with a well-toured red sparkle custom paint job.  The chrome hardware is all excellent though - 10x8, 12x8, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 18x16, 24x16, 24x16, 14x5.5 snare, and three heavy duty Mapex tom stands with four tom arms...  $750.  Then I recently found a green 8x8 on Reverb for $100.  I plan to refinish the whole lot once I get these last few drums, so color doesn't matter.

I had originally intended to split the kit into two, and sell them separately.  Probably could've made a couple/few hundred bucks.  Then I started thinking about just rounding out the bunch so no matter what the gig, I will have the ability to put together the perfect kit...  Which brings us here. 

That set is pretty bad ass the way it is, other than the beat up finish.

Thanks!  I dig the kit, for sure.  I'm just not big on 24" bass drums.  I mean, it's nice to have in case a gig/session ever calls for it, but I'm typically a 22" guy myself.  And I love 15" "floor" toms (I hang mine).  My usual go-to setup is one up (12"), one down.  The interval, to me, between a 12 and 14 is just too small for rock settings, being the only two toms, and 14" toms always seem to lack the cajones I'm looking for in a floor tom.  And I feel like going from 12 to 16 is a little too drastic.  Most "big rock" kits you see have a 13" tom, and a 16" floor tom.  Been the standard for a long time.  Dave Grohl even used a 15" and an 18" in Nirvana.  There's just something about that 3" interval.

I bought a kit with a 24" kick once and I couldn't get comfortable behind it.  I can sympathize with you on that one.

A lot of metal guys have switched to 10/12/16/18 for toms.  The mid range seems to get lost in the music.  I'm not a big fan of 13" toms.  I bought an orphaned one because it was cheap and matched my kit, but I never had the intention to play it.  Maybe with the 18" floor tom in a 4-piece if I don't used it in a mini-kit.