Guest - Member Global Message

This is the Header Alert Global Message description. This message can be changed in your themes acp.

Hero
MyImageName

Banner 1 Title

MyImageName

Banner 2 Title

MyImageName

Banner 3 Title

Sign in to follow this  
DiehardDIYer

Boso Drumsticks

Well, the sticks finally arrived. Took 4 weeks. I ordered 6 pr. of 5B Natural. The Strata line, a combo of natural and dark Bamboo, rendering weights closer to Hickory models, are sold out. I get the feeling the company had to get sticks back from a merchant carrying them to send to me. I may be wrong but, the company does not seem very current. I had contacted the company twice, about the sale of their sticks - price per one, or a pair. I became unsure reading the site. Received no reply. I finally get an email that the sticks were shipped, and I never got an answer on the pricing. I was upset, sent an email saying so, and basically said, My next stop is the forums. Why is it you have to get tough to get answers from people? I got a reply from the company president right away, apologizing and telling me they only sell sticks in pairs.

You can read about the sticks at their site - bosodrumsticks.com. They are compressed, reformed Bamboo. More dense than wood, but lighter.

Because I'm painting, the drums are down so, I've only tried them on some practice pads.

I should have paid closer attention to the specs. They give a weight of 42 grams at their site. When they claim the Natural line are lighter than Hickory that is an understatement.  What I received is 40 grams +/-. They weigh the same or less than all the 5A sticks I have in Hickory, Maple, or Oak. But, they are also longer than all the 5B sticks I have by 1/2-5/8".

The profile of these sticks is not a typical 5B, at least, not any I own. It's closer to a heavy 5A. Very close to the 2A sticks I got off ebay.

On the pad, when they claim they will feel different, this is very true. The extra length gives them a little extra velocity per stroke but, they don't have the same weight to produce the same thump as any 5B I have in any wood. That said, drag rudiments are much cleaner and articulate with these sticks. It's an obvious, audible experience. Double stroke rolls just flow easily. No work at all, and this is on various pads with no rebound. The one gum rubber pad I made will rebound a baseball bat and never feels like a drum, to me.

The company states the sticks play fast and light, and I believe when these hit some skins that will more than be the case. I don't think I will like them. That said, the 2B's are closer in weight to 5B's I use in Maple and Birch and because of that noticeable articulation I'm going to get some and see what they are like. 

They do have a greater vibration than wood. That feels different, if not uncomfortable at first. They state the sticks will flex more than wood. I don't really feel that. If anything the extra length creates any flex.

The more I held and used them the ... better? ... they felt? They kind of remind me of composite sticks I once picked up and played on a pad at a drum shop years ago. But, those ticks were thin, and flexed like crazy. I couldn't put them down fast enough. These Bamboo sticks got more comfortable, not less, as I used them. I need to play them on the kit, obviously. A stick 16 1/2" long, weighing 40 grams is going to produce a light tone on everything. I'm sure the 2B's will feel better. Should have gotten one pair of each.

interesting report.

I looked at boso but I wasn't entirely happy that they didn't offer more options as a custom stick company.

I like round tips - usually. So I would expect a small batch boutique shop to have a lot of flexibility in options. Since they didn't, I immediately got bored and never looked at them again. I see that nothing has changed.

I am interested in Rich Sticks though. I have read a lot of good things about them and they have a lot of options that I like. So if I were to get custom sticks, I would definitely try them first. However I still love my Tama Oak 0214B (Japan only) http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/products/sticks/original.html and Vic Firth sticks so I never had the need.

The sticks continue to surprise me. I grabbed a tom and struck it with a bunch of different sticks. The Boso held its own for impact and volume. A little less volume, which the company states will result but, nothing dramatic, given how light they are.

I'm keeping them. First coat of poly is on them. I didn't mention the finish. Just a natural, very smooth, slick finish, which, if you ever held a bamboo shoot you'll recognize. Too slick for me, as is.

I don't know as I see Boso as a custom stick company. They are a small company making standard stick sizes, well, as far as classification markers, out of another material. They aren't offering custom made shapes and sizes; whatever a customer might like, or "name" models. It would appear they just haven't caught on enough to branch out their lines. They definitely have something different and unique.

I might pick up a pair.  I'm collecting 5B, or close, sticks in every type of material or wood that I can find.  Looks like they're sold out of the strata version.

Just a quick update. I set up the kit and the sticks do promote a somewhat ticky-tacky sound, especially on the snare. That said, rudiments just seem to fly with these things. These would make great jazz sticks. Beyond that, sticks you might use in a small club for Top40 gigs. I can't imagine what the 5A and 7A feel like. Pencils. That said, I'm definitely getting the 2B's. A little more weight and these puppies should feel and sound really nice.

I can see drum corps players loving the marching model. You could rip off some serious rudes on those super tight heads.

15 hours ago, DiehardDIYer said:

Beyond that, sticks you might use in a small club for Top40 gigs.

Ok, I'll get 2 pair.

Drums on Sale just spent a week doing inventory. They came back for business and they carry Boso sticks so, I got what they had of the 2Bs. Should be here in a couple days. They have other models in small quantities. 

I mentioned my experience to them. The guy said they have been trying to reach Boso for 8 months with no success.

I guess things are not doing very well for them.

Well, the 2B's came today. I like them a lot. I don't usually like longer sticks but, the length of Boso sticks seems to give the player, me anyway, more choices for grip placement and what you can do from the variety of fulcrums.

They do weigh about the same as my 5B Maple but, still are not as heavy or loud on the drum. I can see why some rock players have chosen to use the marching sticks. They get their beef out of those. I definitely do not feel I am striking anything with too much force, which larger sticks can give you. At the same time, I am able to move faster around the set. Very interesting feel and experience with these things.

The Bamboo is really slick. I use fingers in my playing more than anything and such a slippery surface made that difficult. A couple coats of poly will tack things up. 

We'll see how long the Bamboo tips last before chipping, splintering, and wearing soft, which is why I've played nylon for so long. They do render I nice sound on the ride and toms, though.

I do believe their expense is great, given the prolific nature of bamboo. You can get a six pc. set of kitchen utensils for 6-8$. $9.50 for two drum sticks seems exorbitant. On the other hand, millions of bamboo kitchen utensils out of China are going to cost a lot less than American made Bamboo drum sticks. I don't smash things so, these should last a long time. We'll see.

Edited by DiehardDIYer