Hero
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bippy58

Drop mapex

10 posts in this topic

I never thought the day would come that I would not want to play mapex anymore but it didn't. It has nothing to do with their products but the way they think of their customers. They have lost their way and I was treated with no respect so in the end I did the only I could and that not to use their products anymore. I made the switch and went to DW. I had an issue with my first kit with them and they took care of my issue and I got a replacement in a very short time. I owned 10 mapex kits 3 Saturn, 1 pro-m, 3 m-birch, 2 mars and several others and have been with them for 10 years they could less. I won't go into details out of respect for people that are not longer with us if you want details I will send you a pm. I wish good luck to all. 

Looks like Mapex has lost another one to DW.  I've said before that if/when I get another kit, that the finish & sizes will be the deciding factors and it might even be a custom set.  I'd probably go with Gretsch or Ludwig if a "major" manufacturer offers what I want.  Pearl & DW have some [expensive] stuff I like too.

I think everyone who frequents the site knows there were changes within Mapex and the parent company, and wouldn't confuse the actions of the new with the character of the old.

I'm not sure what the "I wish good luck to all" thing is about.  While a lot of people here own, or used to own, a Mapex kit, it's not a Mapex website.  We're "transmanufacturer", and some even like to make their own.  Come back and post your new kit.  You might inspire someone to make a similar purchase.

Man, what is the gig with them? It sounds like the kind of thing where a business is purchased as a tax write off. It just barely gets by and makes money for the corporation by being a mess.

I have to say, if you are that much of a Mapex fan and own that many drum sets by them, whatever they are now, as far as business/contact personnel, I would not let that ruin your love for the drums. Now if they start selling things with shoddy quality control, that's another issue. Speedy mentioned Ludwig. A lot pf people left them, some hung on, and today Ludwig has turned things around with quality control and customer service. Maybe Mapex will have the same experience if anyone there is on the ball. Sometimes company execs are not aware of how lower tiers of employees treat people. That's why they began recording phone calls to be able to address poor attitudes and lousy customer service.

Who knows? Maybe the company will ultimately go under and be resurrected someday better than ever by people who do care about customer support.  Or, as things continue to trend downward someone will wake up before it's too late.

I mentioned Ludwig because I know they're doing thing right now, or at least better.  A local guy endorsed them (over Mapex, actually) so I've become more familiar with their gear.  My experiences with Ludwig when I started playing were all bad.  Every company has its ups and downs.

Now this is all just a guess from me, but... I think Mapex has a bunch of suits running the show now, and not so much enthusiasts.  I mean, the whole Soniclear thing is cool I guess.  It's pretty "meh" to me.  But it seems they focused entirely on that, and maybe some Falcon stuff.  All the hardware and lugs changed stylistically, which companies do all the time, but not in a direction that I like.  I think the parent company took a huge hit in the recession and slimmed down everywhere.  They're probably still on the tail end of that, and being cautious with experimentation and stretching themselves out in the future.

As you mentioned, I have Mapex stuff now and I'm entirely happy with it.  I don't have a need or want to get something else.  I'm equally likely to do a heavy custom refinish on these as I am to buy something new.  The circular badges are cool.  The lugs have more of a Tama vibe than a Mapex look, but I'm cool with that.  They sound great.  Everything works and the hardware is stout.  I haven't used them very much either, so they're damn near new as it is.  What the company is doing now has no factor into how I feel about the older drums I have.

On 7/3/2017 at 1:26 PM, SpeedNinja said:

I think Mapex has a bunch of suits running the show now

This has been the case for years now. I've been singing this from the mountain top. The change really occurred when Jeff I left the company. Next came the new president. Next the ma and pa dealers got stufffed under the rug over the Musicians Friend push, next Mapex started ending lines and degrading hardware imo. Next they combined all the hardware and features into the drums to the point the only thing being changed was their composite shells. I talked to Mapex, I explained to them the direction they were going was not good, I could tell by how we were being treated here they gave zero cares.

The time came, I switched our domain name and distanced  this site from the Mapex fiasco. I'm very thankful I did that when I did. I have only one regret however, that was supporting Mapex at all.

The problem is the people running it. Their fortune 500 attitude just sucks. Just sucks major.... They lost touch with the people who cared and promoted their products. The little guy... I've watched this train just keep rollin, I seen the train wreck danger . If we see this here, others must see it... Oh wait, others have... Look at their artist roster. I keep coming back to this artist roster list but I can't tell anyone how important that really is. If no one is playing your gear that says something and says it very very loud... Very loud...

Mapex has made it through some pretty tough times in the past, I'm sure they can weather the storm due to their global trade but they will suffer at some point again if they're not already at that point now. Not sure, all I know is what I see and hear others saying and doing, no one I know now even mentions Mapex. Anyone but...

Not sure many of you remember this and I'll be damned if I can find the video "I looked" it's been a while, this to me was my turning point for the company and told me lots in a few frames what I thought would be the companies future.  A time after Jeff I left his replacement at the time, Kevin, attended NAMM. Someone was shooting video "drum store maybe" and Kevin started talking to a crowd in the display area. He didn't sound really enthused to be there in the first place however, some guy in the back was tinkering around on one of the display kits and kevin drops everything he's doing to go over and if I remember correctly he takes the sticks from the guy.  I can remember thinking, "And this is the future of Mapex?"

oh hahaha. Yeah I remember that video. Yes, very unceremoniously dick'ish.

Yea, when I went to NAMM, now 4 years ago, Mapex suits were all too important, standing around, not doing anything important.

I recall the Pearl and Tama guys all checked in and asked if I needed help. And their booths were bigger than Mapex, with more people checking them out. So I pretty knew that Mapex was on the way out for me. 

On top of that, the BS that our resident SUPER mapex buyer, Glenn, was getting the run around and no support... I really cann't figure out what Mapex stands for.

I still love my Saturn kit, of course. But if I get a chance to buy something new, it won't be a Mapex kit.

Hello! long time no post! site seemed stagnant, still does IMO, Ive owned 4 Mapex kits over the years,2 Mars pros, 1 Pro-M and finally, probably my last kit, my  older Saturn Pro 6 piece, emerald green fade with phosphourus bronze snare. all older kits from when Mapex cared. last thing I bought was a Falcon kick pedal, which I love. its sad they don't give a shit about the company or us, the customers!

18 hours ago, claydoh said:

Hello! long time no post! site seemed stagnant, still does IMO, Ive owned 4 Mapex kits over the years,2 Mars pros, 1 Pro-M and finally, probably my last kit, my  older Saturn Pro 6 piece, emerald green fade with phosphourus bronze snare. all older kits from when Mapex cared. last thing I bought was a Falcon kick pedal, which I love. its sad they don't give a shit about the company or us, the customers!

Hey long time no see! Welcome back! What have you been up to?

On 7/14/2017 at 1:27 AM, claydoh said:

Yes, great to hear from you again, wondered what happened to Clay. 

I don't see our site as a popular go to and never have. It's about the people that are here at the moment., medium-large user numbers (Which we produced as CSM) or smaller numbers like now. I'm not out pounding the net for traffic that's for sure. This site has always been purely just a labor of love .. I pay the bills month after month, year after year because I enjoy the people that are here and have been here for years. They as you were are part of a closer knit community than most. Admittingly the closeness of this community has created some ire in the past. The people here are so close as a matter of fact you see just about everyone talk to each other like longtime lost friends or family. The jokes, arguing, laughing, fighting etc... That same closeness I also feel has caused divisiveness years past, just like with family or friends.  Some family and friends also make up and some don't. Life must travel forward either way Clay. We do what we can here and the people here are truly wonderful people. Let me share

• I've met our resident mod logogogue, so has my middle aged son. Truly, one of the best people you'd ever want to meet ever. To this day my son who's 22 now still asks me about K... For a few hours of meeting time, he left an everlasting impression on my son.
  • Speedninja - not onoly has this character stuck it out with me here since pretty much day 1, he has a heart the size of a woolly mammoth. Medical issues broke me at time. I lost a lot in my life financially. I had to sell my kit for experimental drugs to save my life. I went without drums a loooooong time. It killed me. Mike sent me a pretty much new Mapex kit :) 
  • Glen ..... :) really... How could we live without Glen here at OD? If any of you had a chance to talk with Glen on the phone you'd soon come to realize who he is. Another great guy imo.
  • Resident mod Frodis - His dedication to our community has been unwavering over the years. One of the most level headed people there are out there. Between him and K I couldn't ask for more in helping keep this site moving.
  • I've had a couple of other past members drive through and stay for a couple of days with me and I still talk with them once in a while.

And there's more.... A LOT more I wont bother you with. The type of site we are probably just isn't a match for your interests now. Our site really has never changed. This site and the people here are part of my life and have been for a long time. That will never change as long as I can make it so :)  Great people, great humans..

Again, great to hear from you Sir

Clay is alive!!!