Hero
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DiehardDIYer

Miledge Muzic - new CD

9 posts in this topic

Took forever but, it's finally out. We're going to see how things work with Abstract Logix this time. It's a site much more into our wheelhouse.

mm2a.jpg.eaefcf966f5c74cdc5f6a83dad06c3d1.jpg

Hm. Not sure what that white bar is all about. Must be a holdover from Paint.

That's a good looking cover.  MS Paint?  I'm not saying you should do this, but if you do some internet searching then you might figure out how to download and use older versions of Photoshop and Illustrator for free.  Just throwing that out there.

I've not heard of Abstract Logix.  I'll ask my friend if he has.  DistroKid seems to be gaining popularity.

Side note: I've had so many vehicles not equipped with cruise control, or had a no longer functioning one, that I don't use it on vehicles that have cruise control.  I actually dislike it and feel like I'm not in control of the vehicle when I use it.

I did all the artwork in MS Publisher. It's an old version (2000). Tom has the newest so, if there are issues I just send a file to him and he can correct anything. It's interesting that the actual liner has no fade lines or jagged edges like you see here. Very smooth color transitions and lettering.

I can't figure out how to get something from Publisher into another program, like pictures, to place on a forum, like here, without it being a huge file. So, I send it to Paint to reduce it but, looks like that white bar is left over after reduction. Not a big deal. I just wanted to show the front and back liner.

Yeah, the cruise control on my van died awhile ago. I really miss it. Of course, now that I have settled in Texas, no more long, late night trips back to Virginia. I don't really need it. But, if you have owned a van you know how little space there is next to the engine hub and after a few hours, let alone 20, my knees and ankles are pretty sore on my right side. Even the left side, with the wheel hub, creates discomfort on long drives. Cruise control allowed me to sit in more comfortable positions. I've been driving vans for so long, though, it's all I know. I keep using them because of the drums but, it is so unlikely I'll ever play out again it's moot. Maybe I'll join the southern culture and get a pickup when this critter finally dies (318K and still going strong despite dead speedometer, door lights, etc, etc).

Abstract Logix is mostly fusion, jazz rock, world music, and those genres. They have a review offer. For $75 they will review your CD. We're going to try it. See what they think.

I see what you're doing.  Definitely some limitations in Paint.  What file type(s) does Publisher produce?

I've only driven a van (15 passenger E350, 5.4L) for about 5.5 hours, twice, and an older Chevy in town.  Aside from not being able to shift, I loved it.  I've driven a lot in a Caravan for an old job.  That was much less exciting, but I found it's speed limit.

I have to plead ignorance about file types. I have no idea, really.  Everything seems txt, rtf, doc, dot but, those are what publisher converts when you import. I don't know how to tell what a final file is.

Posted (edited)

Well, so much for Abstract Logix. They are going to cease selling CDs and just become a "content" web site, whatever that means. Just selling downloadable files?

This really goes to the subject matter of the Artist Series/Sessions thread. Recorded music is just not selling, at least hard copy.

Guess it's back to CD Baby, or somewhere else.

Edited by DiehardDIYer

Check out: https://distrokid.com/

Personally, I like having physical copies of stuff.  I've had tons of digital files lost to hard drive failure or a certain software *cough*iTunes*cough* corrupting my library.  Nothing beats a physical backup.  If I get something digitally, then I burn a CD-R of it.  It's also fun to get CDs/booklets autographed, even if it's just your idiot friends in a local hardcore band.  I've told artists who only sell through download that I wouldn't buy or bother to steal their music.  I would've bought the CD, but I'm not buying a band shirt or sticker.

The physical production and distribution of physical content gets expensive.  Also, people have to carry around everything they want to listen to, and something to play it in.  I'd much rather have THOUSANDS of songs on something the size of my pinky fingernail stored in my phone than carry around something the size of my spare tire full of my only physical copy that will eventually be damaged when dirt gets in the sleeve, and still only have a couple hundred songs at best.  Hell, most people use a streaming service at this point.  They don't even carry digital files with them.

At any rate, digital files make owning music more practical.  I personally like to have a physical library, but I digitize it for use and put the physical copies in storage.

Thanks! Looks pretty cool. I passed it on to Tom. He's the file ninja.

I heard about it on the Jared Dines YouTube channel.  From what I remember, the guy who started it is a musician who noticed the other forms of distribution weren't working, or something like that.