Hero
SpeedNinja

Yamaha EAD10

yea i was going to bring this up. My local music shop got a couple in recently and we were checking it out. But haven't had a chance to hear what it does live.

It is going to get setup soon, if not already, so I can't wait to hear how the acoustic and electronics blend. Also is supposed to mic up a 5 piece kit and cymbals as well...

the video is in Japanese, but skip around and you can hear how the mic pack picks up acoustic drums and then adds efx.

It has awesome potential.

there is an app that goes along with it too. So you can record direct to your ios device. And you can mix it with music off of itunes. That's pretty slick.

Looks like they're going for about $500 on eBay.  I'm not sure how to value it for my needs given it does a lot more than I need.  For the sake of comparison, the Sabian Sound Kit goes for $300.  The EAD10 does a lot more, and sets up a lot quicker.  I haven't looked at the audio/file quality specs yet.  I might be better off with a Zoom H4 for what I need, but this Yamaha is tempting if the cover band takes off.  It seems to pick everything up well.  I wonder if it can record and send a signal out to a board at the same time.

The iOS features are useless to me.

3 hours ago, SpeedNinja said:

The iOS features are useless to me.

The app is very cool.  I think I heard they are working on an android addition.  

That would be awesome as I have an aftermarket Android car head unit that I plan on turning into a home stereo.  I could potentially record straight to the SD card in that.

Looks like a few more people got their hands on this system.

The app adds a click to songs in your iTunes library, if you want, with 2 measures ahead.  That's pretty damn cool.  It will also video record you.  It might be worth buying an old used iPhone, if there's not a functioning Android app yet... maybe.  I still don't trust iTunes.

That looks interesting. In a small rig, someone just getting started on the whole recording- and-watching- themselves-or- posting-to-YouTube thing can have it all good to go in a matter of minutes. My drum room setup does pretty much all of this but I had to assemble a motley crew of devices and several more dollars to do it. It might be fun to pick one up for the rehearsal studio to see if it can do the job of a half dozen mics. Hmmm...

At my wholesaler in Tokyo, with tax, it is being sold for ¥49, 680 (@$450 USD / @$560 CAD)but it is still really new so the price will probably fluctuate down a little bit as the newness wears off.

Regards,
Frodis

It definitely would make becoming a "YouTube drummer" much easier, at least to start.  Building a "proper" recording setup from scratch is intimidating, and that's without thinking about the financial part of it.  I hadn't finished watching the 2nd video when I posted.  It can read music from and record to a flash drive, just like with an iProduct, but obviously there would be no video option.  I like the snare trigger and 2 pad expansion capabilities as well.

It looks like we'll spend about $500 here from eBay and Musician's Friend.  I haven't paid that much attention lately, but music gear seems like it stays at its introduction price up until stores need to clear out for that particular item being replaced.

rdavidr has finally posted his video on it.  The snare trigger is extra.  Basically the two things holding me back are no Android software, and it doesn't work with a double bass kit.