Guest - Member Global Message

This is the Header Alert Global Message description. This message can be changed in your themes acp.

Hero
MyImageName

Banner 1 Title

MyImageName

Banner 2 Title

MyImageName

Banner 3 Title

Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Napes Mars History

Help needed identifying the age of this particular Mapex Mars kit based on this tom. I was told it was approx 30 years old. That would make manufacture date around late 80’s?? Would like to know when Mapex started making the Mars kits like this, with the tube lugs, square badge, etc. Finish appears to be a smoky chrome or brushed  chrome look. Came with 8 lug steel snare. Thanks for any and all info you can give. 

C8E6D498-6964-486D-B314-377213A686C1.jpeg

Hey Jeff!

Welcome to the forum.

is that tom a part of a full kit?

We have a couple of Mapex historians here who can track down historical info on your drum.

No, definitely not that old.  I have uploaded a 1997 catalog which should give you most of the information you're looking for.  I've also uploaded a 1992 catalog which has the color wrap that your drums have.  It looks like they had the more modern lugs by 1992.  The older version was basically a solid bar with threaded ends and the lugs acted more as standoffs.  Your drums have the newer design with a more common threaded insert, and the tube section is just a decorative tube fastened to the individual lugs.  You can also see that the 1992 drums have much older style badges and tom mounts than your drums.

Yours also has the latest badges and tom mounts.  I'm assuming the floor tom has the same mounts for its legs, and the legs are hexagonal.  If you can, post a picture of the bass drum so we can see the tom mount, spurs and hoops.  Until then, I'd date your drums from 1993-1996, and I'm leaning towards the later end of that.  I might be able to narrow that down after seeing the bass drum.  The snare should have the older style tube lugs with only one standoff, but I'd be interested to see the throw-off and butt side of it.  Also, the double tom holder might help date your drums, possibly the footboards on the bass drum pedal and hi-hat stand as well.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2018 at 6:43 AM, SpeedNinja said:

No, definitely not that old.  I have uploaded a 1997 catalog which should give you most of the information you're looking for.  I've also uploaded a 1992 catalog which has the color wrap that your drums have.  It looks like they had the more modern lugs by 1992.  The older version was basically a solid bar with threaded ends and the lugs acted more as standoffs.  Your drums have the newer design with a more common threaded insert, and the tube section is just a decorative tube fastened to the individual lugs.  You can also see that the 1992 drums have much older style badges and tom mounts than your drums.

Yours also has the latest badges and tom mounts.  I'm assuming the floor tom has the same mounts for its legs, and the legs are hexagonal.  If you can, post a picture of the bass drum so we can see the tom mount, spurs and hoops.  Until then, I'd date your drums from 1993-1996, and I'm leaning towards the later end of that.  I might be able to narrow that down after seeing the bass drum.  The snare should have the older style tube lugs with only one standoff, but I'd be interested to see the throw-off and butt side of it.  Also, the double tom holder might help date your drums, possibly the footboards on the bass drum pedal and hi-hat stand as well.

Nothing else to say...

Thanks guys. Sorry for the delay in responding. I thought I requested to get an email notification if anyone replied, but I got nothing. 

Yes, the Tom is part of a five piece set with a metal snare. I’m dealing with the seller on getting a set price. All five drums are similar and I’m going to assume it’s the smoky chrome finish shown in the 93 catalog. So they’re around 22-25 years old? 

So back then, Mapex didn’t designate these as Mars or Mars Pro? Just letters with numbers for different models? I’ll post more pics soon. All drums are in great shape and were always stored in padded cases. What’s a fair price to pay for these? It’s a five piece shell pack. I think it’s 10, 12, 14, 22. 

Yes, between 22 and 25 years old.

I'm not sure what you mean by... "So back then, Mapex didn’t designate these as Mars or Mars Pro? Just letters with numbers for different models?"  Both the catalogs and drum badges clearly say Mars or Mars Pro.  Older square badge kits didn't say anything for the Mars series, only Saturn and Orion, but your drums are much newer than that.  Are you referring to the configuration designations?  Things like that are still done today, by everyone.  They just don't put it in sales flyers because they use catchier phrases like: standard, rock, studio, fusion, fusionese and other crap like that.  The model numbers designate the different configurations within the Mars and Mars Pro lines.

As for price... I'd pay too much just to get those lugs.  A new Mars kit is about $600, so if it comes with hardware, I'd say no more than $300 but try to go lower.

• Like 1