Hero
Sign in to follow this  
DanielaChoresh

Need help with a beat!

Hi! So I'm new to drumming, and there's this one beat loop on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzm4zqayqe4) that I just can't figure out how to play myself. I can do most of it from hearing, but I just can't play the same exact beat.
I'd -really- appreciate if someone could help me arrange this loop.

I am terrible at this stuff...  The ride seems pretty straight forward.  The snare sounds like it's a 1/16th before the 2.  Bass sounds like it's on 1, and the 1/16th before the 3.  There are better and more educated people here to answer the question, but hopefully that's not entirely wrong and gets you started.

A good way, of course, is to break it down into its parts. For the most part, it seems that the ride and bass drum are playing an ostinato (set repeat rhythm) phrase. The snare drum is more involved but I think it would be good to work on adding in accents and ghost notes as you feel it with the music. If you are new (or even not so new) this  snare requires a bit more limb independence than many of us are used to playing on a daily basis. So, my advice is to break it down and play just the ride cymbal, then add in the bass drum, and finally work in your snare. Or break it down however you like and work on each voice independently until you can get the ostinato swing groove happening and then comp with your snare. Dig it?! Cool man! Ha-chacha and other jazz cat-type lingo.

Regards,
Mike H