Hero

I just saw this tweet from Mapex, anyone have the inside scoop??ūüė≥

7DE1008D-0D49-429F-8264-CB973C56AE64.jpeg

No scoop, but I think this may be hinting at the new 'Design Lab' series of drums and drumsets that are slowly being rolled out. Russ Miller has been recently demonstrating them on his clinic tours and demos. I've seen and heard some of the new drums.

Frodis

From the pic it looks like horizontal layering of different woods in their shells.  I doubt they'll be stave, but who knows.   

Though I doubt the sound will prove revolutionary, it's good to see a major manufacturer trying something new.  I just hope it does push their sound in a new direction and that it's not simply a marketing gimmick.

Did Miller explain anything, Frodis?  And how did they sound?

OK. After watching how close to the chest Mapex is keeping this information, I think I need to be cautious about how much I say, without trying to sound cryptic. That being said, Russ Miller is clinic-ing and demoing the new drums, and I've seen and played one of the snares, and I think I can safely say that they sound pretty amazing, without betraying any confidences.  Sorry, I live in a bit of a bubble and didn't realize that this wasn't already common knowledge.

Anyhow, probably safe to say, although I don't know about 'revolutionary', time will have to tell on that, but they are worth keeping an eye out for.

Regards,
Frodis

Interesting.  How long has Russ been playing these on clinics?  I might have missed a chance to see them myself, but I bought the snare stand he used.  Partial win?

Looks like thin reinforcement rings throughout the shell.

Well, it seems the new line will be some Black Panther kits following the line of the BP Desing Lab Snares. Here's what Russ Miller showed through Instagram:

IMG_5255.thumb.jpg.ffe59434956a3e6cbfce09f6101c1c0e.jpgIMG_5256.thumb.jpg.e7df7f688961c0e18527763ecee36ed9.jpg

oh, it is Russ' kit with the intricate tom mounting system. Ron Dunnett was making fun of it on his FB post a couple of days back. But he didn't reference where or what so didn't know who's kit it was on.

Still, the drums look terrific. Could be a benefit of the Sonor merger.

On 6/9/2018 at 4:05 AM, logogogue said:

Could be a benefit of the Sonor merger.

That's an interesting thought.

2 hours ago, SpeedNinja said:

Since we're still here...

Till the end of the month Mike :) As promised..

• Like 1

On 6/15/2018 at 9:01 PM, OfficialDrummer said:

Till the end of the month Mike :) As promised..

Yeah, I just don't have anywhere else to share it.  A few people here are interested so just a heads up for anyone who was curious, for a week or so.

7 hours ago, SpinaDude said:

Anyone have a clue what that is?  Some kind of tom mounts?

Yes, that's what it seems it is...

5b2842ebeb4d9_Capturadepantalla2018-06-19ales1_21_19.png.9c5f3ccfe4f1f09068bfc01aeb98cbf6.png5b2842e9a4043_Capturadepantalla2018-06-19ales1_18_17.png.41b4340a672928e6f98cadfb64a483c5.png

WTF?  I thought the whole point of hardware attaching to a drum was to make it light.  Those are monstrous.  Aluminum possibly to be light weight?

I dunno, but they are huge, bulky and ugly.  Unfortunate to have on another beautiful Mapex kit.

The greyish metal monstrosities..those have a Mapex logo on them,.  The newer M.  Or am I just seeing things.  Coming back for another look and it's not as distinct as I first thought.  

Whatever they are they are fuh-huh-hugly.  Does anyone have a clue as to what the engineering thought is behind them?  What they're supposed to do and what any part of the design is?

Damn.  I'm gonna miss this place.

I don't disagree with you.  It does look a lot like the new Mapex "M" logo machined in those mounts.

The pictures aren't great, and at bad angles, so it's hard to get my head wrapped around what's going on with those mounts.  In the video you can see that the high tom is suspended by the resonant side lugs and the second tom is suspended by the batter side lugs.

We all know what tom suspension is, or what it's supposed to do.  We're all familiar with car suspension as well... maybe...  double wishbone, torque arm ladder bar, torsion bar, MacPherson strut and several more.  This tom arm looks like a pushrod suspension from what I can work out, or maybe just a double wishbone...  The size and weight of the mount wouldn't matter, especially in prototype form, since they're probably trying to dissipate any vibrations before they get to whatever hold the arms up.  Aluminum was probably used because it's easier to machine.  Weight would probably only matter for having to carry them around, or reducing the moment on the rack clamp (keeping it from spinning on the rack).  The final design could be close to this size.  Usually new designs start off clunky before people figure out how to simplify and minimize material usage.  It's a whole different mindset from coming up with the idea to begin with.

I wish I went to that clinic.

Thank you Speedy.  So it's a prototype for another mounting system to increase resonance and attack I guess?   Is it about increased placement and mobility?  I wish they would give just a hint of what they say it accomplishes?  I get they want to make buzz and have people talking about it.  Which is great.  But they should give us a little sumthin' sumthin' so we're not focused on how fugly it is.  LOL

I have no idea what it would accomplish.  It looks like there's an adjustment knob with about 10 notches for vertical settings on the back half of it.  It doesn't look like the linkage below that would allow for that much movement, unless there's another joint I'm not seeing.

There's a black cap on the back.  I'm not sure if that's a spring housing, or fluid reservoir or just a plug for when you don't have a cymbal arm inserted.  There are drum key screws on the back, so I'm assuming it's something that would potentially have a moderate amount of use.  There could be a spring/dampener in there since it looks like that "tube" goes all the way up.  Maybe it's a height adjustment.

The part that connects to the lugs also has two drum key screws where it connects on the mount.  The top one has a radius slot, so it looks like a tilt adjustment for the drum.  That part is "permanently" fixed to the forward tube with set screws, as is the part above it.  I can't work out why they're separate pieces and how they interact with each other, but the tube they're mounted to stops at the upper block.

Hmmm... I think that larger upper part might be two pieces.  I was seeing it as one.  That large aluminum knob looking piece is probably a hinge/joint.  I'm starting to see it... this thing is weird...  I'll have to sketch some things out later since I should probably get some things done at work today.

The vertical rod with the black cap is straddled by the vertical slide with the notch settings.  If you look at the top pic you'll see them on wither side.  I was hoping that would clear things up but it just makes me more confused.  To quote Speedy, "This thing is wierd."

Yes, that rod (or tube) is fixed (stationary, relative to the ground/rack).  I think the part at the top of it that has the drum key screws is also fixed, but adjustable.  It looks like all the other parts can move, relative to the rack.

Something else to think about:  Our options for tom arms are a Pearl style or a ball-and-socket.  That goes directly to a mount.  That bolts to the shell/suspension.  That's not a lot of options considering the number of drum and hardware companies out there.
This looks to be integrating the arm , mount and suspension into one part, which is why it is large and clunky in these early development stages.  It could eventually become smaller and use less space/material than the three individual parts put together in a traditional manner.  It's a logical evolution if you think about it.  The tom mount itself has become a redundant feature.  If that's the case, this is more genius than it is weird.

7 hours ago, SpeedNinja said:

Something else to think about:  Our options for tom arms are a Pearl style or a ball-and-socket.  That goes directly to a mount.  That bolts to the shell/suspension.  That's not a lot of options considering the number of drum and hardware companies out there.
This looks to be integrating the arm , mount and suspension into one part, which is why it is large and clunky in these early development stages.  It could eventually become smaller and use less space/material than the three individual parts put together in a traditional manner.  It's a logical evolution if you think about it.  The tom mount itself has become a redundant feature.  If that's the case, this is more genius than it is weird.

Really good points, Speedy.  My favorite and most flexible tom mounting system was the Yamaha system.  Ridiculous flexibility, although part of that was the extension you got by the tom arm going INTO the shell.  That allowed for great extension away from the ball and socket joint.  L-bend arms can't do that, unless the short bar of the L can extend in and out of the ball and socket joint.  I remember starting a thread about that topic years ago...sadly none of the major drum manufacturers were willing to tap into my bubbling fount of genius.  LOL

I really like that last point you made, Speedy.  Now that you've said it, it makes A LOT of sense.  Now beyond simply having my curiosity piqued I'm really intrigued.  I truly hope they come out with something  as the original RIMS mounting system turned out to be in the late 80's/early 90's. I remember my cronies and I mocking them when they came out, as you are prone to do as an ignorant 19 year old.

On 6/20/2018 at 3:24 AM, SpinaDude said:

Whatever they are they are fuh-huh-hugly.

Wait a minute...I just did the same thing again.  Damn!   And now I have grey hair too.