Guest - Member Global Message

This is the Header Alert Global Message description. This message can be changed in your themes acp.

Hero
MyImageName

Banner 1 Title

MyImageName

Banner 2 Title

MyImageName

Banner 3 Title

Sign in to follow this  
Augie

Who has animals?

I have 2 boxers, one male and one female, both are almost a year old. Today I seen my male had blood in his stool and after doing some reading earlier he has the symptoms of parvo :( I'm waiting right now to get a call back from the vet to take him in. Their strickly indoor dogs so don't let these pics lof them being outside let you think they are outdoor dogs. The only time their outdoors is when they need to go to the bathroom. I just had some extra time and wanted to take some pics. The males name is "Hunk" the females name is "Sexy"

post_1_1158798943.attach_thumb.jpg

post_1_1158799025.attach_thumb.jpg

I was telling Nick our mod a few moments ago, the male (Hunk) I can call one of my best friends. I hope I don't lose him, this really sucks! :(

Yeah, hearing there is health concerns at such a young age is unfortunate, i've been watching my dog Oreo(springer spaniel/border collie cross) for the last couple years, she's only 5, because of a lump on her side, the vet said it was harmless unless it grows and it sucks, i am having it removed this winter no question about it... I also had to have a cat put to sleep about a year ago, had him for 12 years, ended up with a tumor(internally) as well...

The other two cats are fine, getting a little old, but my wifes fish tanks keeps them active, hopefully for long time to come...

Well, they're keeping him.. I will know more tomarrow :(

hope everything works out ok for sure!! :thumbup:

i have 9 year old Jack Russell Terror...er, i mean Terrier!! :D:D

I hope everything turns out alright with your dogs guys. I used to have a pure bred rottie that died of cancer so I hope your dogs pull through.

Currently I have a 16 year old cornish rex cat (I've read they're only supposed to like 12 years max...he looks a lot like Yoda, he was too mean for my dad's friend's family so we got him), some akita mix that turned up at my grandpa's house(fought with one of his dogs so we took him), a wild cat I found at my grandpa's about a year ago(abandoned), my cat's brother/cousin/nephew that my brother found(also abandoned), and my mom got a jack russell terrorist to replace the rottie (didn't work) and I'm actually waiting for that disobedient, spoiled cat-crap-recycler(a young couple gave him the boot) to keel over so I can get another rottie.

So currently all my animals are rejects...and if you watch them for 5 minutes you can tell they're not quite right.

i have 9 year old Jack Russell Terror
:laugh:

Well, the news was good. What happened to him was my fault. I feed him table scraps. Turned out that wasn't a good thing :tsk: My bad for sure. They done a parvo test, blood work-up, Injected him with dye to see of his system was clogged from eating something he shouldn't of. all turned out a-ok. WHEW, my buddy is in good health. I learned my lesson. So I went out tonight and bought a bag of pig ears for him :apimp: Believe me, 360.00 later and a scare I have really learned my lesson.

Dang quickstang2, I had a rottie years ago, still miss him. With all the bad rep they get and the people I insure my house thru wouldn't insure me if I had one, I couldn't have another one. I love my boxers though and now wouldn't own another breed.

People who take in animals mixed breeds or not and give them a home says alot about you. They are lucky to of found someone with a heart like yours :)

i have 9 year old Jack Russell Terror
:laugh:

Well, the news was good. What happened to him was my fault. I feed him table scraps. Turned out that wasn't a good thing :tsk: My bad for sure. They done a parvo test, blood work-up, Injected him with dye to see of his system was clogged from eating something he shouldn't of. all turned out a-ok. WHEW, my buddy is in good health. I learned my lesson. So I went out tonight and bought a bag of pig ears for him :apimp: Believe me, 360.00 later and a scare I have really learned my lesson.

that's GREAT news!!! :):)

a couple of years ago i gave my dog a steak bone and it made him sicker than all heck. he was doing his business all over the house and couldn't even walk. we rushed him to the vet and he told us "DO NOT GIVE THIS DOG ANY BONES!!". thank goodness he came through ok after some meds and a couple of days.

same as you, we learned a valuable lesson!! :tsk:

glad your pal is OK!!

Dang quickstang2, I had a rottie years ago, still miss him. With all the bad rep they get and the people I insure my house thru wouldn't insure me if I had one, I couldn't have another one. I love my boxers though and now wouldn't own another breed.

People who take in animals mixed breeds or not and give them a home says alot about you. They are lucky to of found someone with a heart like yours :)

Yeah, I hate when people say that rotties are bad dogs. The worst thing mine ever did is blow giant snot rockets on people's shirts...that and scare the crap out of a State Trooper that was rolling through the neighborhood...ok that was actually the best thing he ever did.

My whole family loves animals so we pretty much take in everything that needs a home. I even dog sat a couple shih tzus for people so they wouldn't have to give them up. That's one breed I wouldn't go out and buy willingly. All these half breed animals seem to have a lot of character...especially the akita mix, we think he's been abducted by aliens and had half his brain replaced with a computer chip...that or he headbutted a moving truck as a puppy...

I'm glad your dog is ok. Boxers are cool dogs. There's one down the street that gets out all the time and plays with everyone in the neighborhood until his owner snags him. Funny dogs.

They do get a bad rap, like guns. When in the hands of the wrong owners they can be used and abused the wrong way unfortunatly.

I saw this thread while I'm just looking at the forum and I feel like dropping a message even though it is already 11 years ago that someone had dropped a comment on this thread. I just want to revive this thread by also dropping a comment. 

I have 2 labradors which are a female and a male. They are the love of my life and they are my best friend even though sometimes they mess around and destroy things. I'm looking for some device that will help me keep them in check. Or some toys that will focus their attention. ;)

I live miles outside a small town in Texas. Unfortunately the road I live on is not heavily traveled by large trucks taking stone and sod down to the DFW area. This has all picked up since we moved here. Our beloved rescue pit, Noni, was struck and killed a couple months ago. I did not see it happen. I missed it by a couple minutes. These trucks move at 70-80 mph (as well as other vehicles) and I have been told they stop for nothing. I surmise she went out into and crossed the road (for some unknown reason that will perpetually haunt us), and was struck by one of those trucks judging by ... her broken form. I never saw such a bad dog accident. In six decades of life, burying her was one of the hardest things I have ever done. To add insult to injury when I placed her in the earth my hand got covered with fire ants. When my wife came home and saw me sitting out back at the grave she ran out and came totally unglued. It was raining. We just sat in the rain apologizing to our deceased friend for not taking care of her. I've lost dogs and cats to accidents since I was a kid living in the north east but, this one ... this one left me heartbroken, angry, offended, and hating Texas more than ever. She was the sweetest dog I ever owned.

About a month earlier I was out in the garage and felt something against my foot. I looked down and a little black kitten was walking in and out of my legs. I had no idea where he came from. He was a real character. He drove Mr. Cat, our black American short hair, crazy. I say 'was' because two days after Noni was killed Beau went missing. Was there that night, hanging out in the barn where he liked to be. The next morning, gone.

Mr. Cat acts different now. He seems really on edge all the time. I don't know what he saw when Noni was killed, or why Beau went missing but, it's a been a rough time for pets with us.

We'd like to get another rescue Pit but, not on this road. I'll be done with the renovation soon enough, then, it's outta here.

On 10/8/2017 at 9:06 PM, DiehardDIYer said:

I live miles outside a small town in Texas. Unfortunately the road I live on is not heavily traveled by large trucks taking stone and sod down to the DFW area. This has all picked up since we moved here. Our beloved rescue pit, Noni, was struck and killed a couple months ago. I did not see it happen. I missed it by a couple minutes. These trucks move at 70-80 mph (as well as other vehicles) and I have been told they stop for nothing. I surmise she went out into and crossed the road (for some unknown reason that will perpetually haunt us), and was struck by one of those trucks judging by ... her broken form. I never saw such a bad dog accident. In six decades of life, burying her was one of the hardest things I have ever done. To add insult to injury when I placed her in the earth my hand got covered with fire ants. When my wife came home and saw me sitting out back at the grave she ran out and came totally unglued. It was raining. We just sat in the rain apologizing to our deceased friend for not taking care of her. I've lost dogs and cats to accidents since I was a kid living in the north east but, this one ... this one left me heartbroken, angry, offended, and hating Texas more than ever. She was the sweetest dog I ever owned.

About a month earlier I was out in the garage and felt something against my foot. I looked down and a little black kitten was walking in and out of my legs. I had no idea where he came from. He was a real character. He drove Mr. Cat, our black American short hair, crazy. I say 'was' because two days after Noni was killed Beau went missing. Was there that night, hanging out in the barn where he liked to be. The next morning, gone.

Mr. Cat acts different now. He seems really on edge all the time. I don't know what he saw when Noni was killed, or why Beau went missing but, it's a been a rough time for pets with us.

We'd like to get another rescue Pit but, not on this road. I'll be done with the renovation soon enough, then, it's outta here.

I'm sorry what happen to your beloved dog. We all know that we can't control accidents, it's kinda hard to say but we need to learn from our experience on how to properly care our pet. A simple advice, adopt another Pit and take good care of her.

Well, we don't believe in tying a dog up. And she never went out into the road. Just once, when we first moved here, she crossed the road. The neighbor brought her back over and told me about the trucks. Otherwise she just stayed on the porch and slept or lied in the driveway and slept or watched cars and trucks go by. I never thought for a minute she would go into or cross that road again, especially after scolding her the first time she did it.

There's a dog that walks this road, Scout. Nice German Sheperd. He walks miles from home. He stops by to say hello some times. I wonder if he came by and our dog followed him and that was it. We'll never know.

The property is wide open and putting up a fence ... $$$. I don't like fences, either. We just need to move to a more quiet area.

And you have two Labs? Man, the mother of all energy factories in dogs. I don't think there's a dog toy made they cannot destroy, lol. They are a lot of fun though.

There was a home I visited every week for awhile and the Lab would not let me go into the house unless I threw the tennis ball for him for at least 5 minutes. He never got tired, no matter how far I threw it.

Actually I'm looking for a perfect dog toy that will be good for my labs, as we all know that labs are very playful. Any suggestion might help.;)

On 10/10/2017 at 0:34 PM, DiehardDIYer said:

Well, we don't believe in tying a dog up. And she never went out into the road. Just once, when we first moved here, she crossed the road. The neighbor brought her back over and told me about the trucks. Otherwise she just stayed on the porch and slept or lied in the driveway and slept or watched cars and trucks go by. I never thought for a minute she would go into or cross that road again, especially after scolding her the first time she did it.

There's a dog that walks this road, Scout. Nice German Sheperd. He walks miles from home. He stops by to say hello some times. I wonder if he came by and our dog followed him and that was it. We'll never know.

The property is wide open and putting up a fence ... $$$. I don't like fences, either. We just need to move to a more quiet area.

And you have two Labs? Man, the mother of all energy factories in dogs. I don't think there's a dog toy made they cannot destroy, lol. They are a lot of fun though.

There was a home I visited every week for awhile and the Lab would not let me go into the house unless I threw the tennis ball for him for at least 5 minutes. He never got tired, no matter how far I threw it.

If you will be having a new dog but you do not want to tie it, I think you need to build a fence around to prevent her from crossing the road. As far as I'm concern there is new technology for dog fences. I'll check out and recommend some to you.

Edited by khouji

Yeah, that would be  the logical way to approach it, underground electrical fences and dog collars with mild shock sensors. Or, just get a pup that can be trained to stay away from the road. Or, move, which we are going to do. Noni was guessed to be five years old when we got her and she was wandering the streets of Denton, Texas at the time. She wandered into the parking lot of the office my wife worked at and she brought her home. The original owner was contacted and she didn't want the dog. Sad. Noni loved everybody. A Pit owner told me Pits think they are humans. We found that to be true. She loved going everywhere with us. She had a lot of issues. She was a heavily abused puppy mill but, she still had a heart of gold. We miss her.

Sorry to hear about Noni, man.  That's brutal.  Pits are funny dogs.  My aunt has two rescue pits.  Every time I show up, they're terrified of me.  After an hour, you can't peel them off me.  Odd about the kitten that you fou... that found you.  They tend to stick around in situations like that.  Maybe something got him and Mr. Cat witnessed it.  Cats, even if they're not exited about newcomers, are very sensitive to changing social dynamics.  Poor guy probably has PTSD over Noni and Beau, or the sudden appearance/disappearance of them all at once.  It also could be that he relied on Noni as a form of alarm to intruders/predators.  She's not there so he has to be on high alert at all times.

My brother's cat has had a pretty large brain tumor for over a year now.  We found it after dealing with two other ailments he had developed.  Still paying for the scan of his head too.  The vets all call him miracle cat.  Then again, all the vets say that about every animal we have who gets terminally ill.  Anyway, he's gained a little weight since his last vet visit and seems to be acting better.  I know it's pointless in being hopeful he'll recover, but he's the best cat out of the bunch.

I was hoping to get a dog when I finally bought a house, but the property is small and there's not much yard.  I couldn't confine something like at rottweiler to that small of a space.

On 10/12/2017 at 6:05 AM, DiehardDIYer said:

Yeah, that would be  the logical way to approach it, underground electrical fences and dog collars with mild shock sensors. Or, just get a pup that can be trained to stay away from the road. Or, move, which we are going to do. Noni was guessed to be five years old when we got her and she was wandering the streets of Denton, Texas at the time. She wandered into the parking lot of the office my wife worked at and she brought her home. The original owner was contacted and she didn't want the dog. Sad. Noni loved everybody. A Pit owner told me Pits think they are humans. We found that to be true. She loved going everywhere with us. She had a lot of issues. She was a heavily abused puppy mill but, she still had a heart of gold. We miss her.

I saw this Wireless pet fence online which I think is a perfect type for you. You do not need to use a traditional fence because there is no digging or burying of wiring, this system can be set up in only a few minutes. Wireless dog fence will allow your pet to move around while keeping them safely contained within the boundary. If you have any concern just feel free to message me and I'll try my best to give suggestions. 

48 minutes ago, khouji said:

I saw this Wireless pet fence online which I think is a perfect type for you. You do not need to use a traditional fence because there is no digging or burying of wiring, this system can be set up in only a few minutes. Wireless dog fence will allow your pet to move around while keeping them safely contained within the boundary. If you have any concern just feel free to message me and I'll try my best to give suggestions. 

Thanks for the link! That's really cool. Would work well for us.

A couple things to watch those wireless fences:
1) Battery level in the collar. You can hear it dying when it gives warning beeps as the dog, for example a Jack Russell terrier, stands at the limits, daring the machine to shock it.
2) If your dog is a pain in the ass, like a Jack Russell terrier, then it may decide to run though the shock zone because the reward of feral freedom is worth the 5 seconds of pain.

My neighbor, also has/had Jack Russell terriers, used an electric fence with a physical wire that was run along the perimeter of the property.  There were fences he could weave it through.  That works pretty well.  You can get a larger range with them.  Same limitations listed above, and you should occasionally check the wire to make sure it hasn't been broken anywhere.