Guest - Member Global Message

This is the Header Alert Global Message description. This message can be changed in your themes acp.

Hero
MyImageName

Banner 1 Title

MyImageName

Banner 2 Title

MyImageName

Banner 3 Title

NeedForSpeed

9 questions to get to know you better

Really good to hear from you again Luke. That M-Birch looks like the day it was bought. Great drums.

Tried the YouTube link, YouTube's giving me the can not find site image

Regards

Fixed the link now

1. Whats your name? Kevin

2. Where do you live approximately? Toronto, Canada

3. What do you do for a living? and what are your other hobbies? I am a professional drummer, making a living through gigging, recording, touring and teaching.  I'm also into rock climbing and soccer.

4. How long have you been playing drums and any other instruments? 20 years

5. What drums have you previously and currently own? I own a custom Ayotte kit (wood hoop) circa 1999 and Tama Starclassic Maple in Harvest Dusk finish.  In addition I've got some extra kicks and snares.

6. What cymbals do you use? I use a variety of cymbals by Sabian, Zildjian and Paiste.

7. Whats your most preferred brand of hardware(pedals, stands, racks, etc.) I prefer Yamaha's hardware.  It's always been the longest-lasting and most reliable for me.

8. Do you play in a band or gig? I play regularly with a few Canadian artists including Emma-Lee and Sean Pinchin.  Look them up, they're great songwriters/performers.

9. Whats your most prized music accomplishment? I'm most proud of my first publication which is a beginner method book called "Time-Keepers".  It's available for the iPad (search in iTunes under books) as well as in print and .PDF ebook from my website.  I don't want to spam here, so I'll just leave it at that.  Anyone interested in checking it out can search the web for it.  post-4707-0-11354500-1384302469_thumb.jp

Welcome Kevin, nice to have you here. 1st post approved, VIP access has been granted. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Kind Regards

Another drummer from Canada!  We have a few others around here from time to time.  Welcome to OD!!!  Love to see some pics of those kits, especially the Ayotte~ 

1. Whats your name? Willem Söhnge

2. Where do you live approximately? I live in Pretoria, South Africa

3. What do you do for a living? and what are your other hobbies? I'm a Graphic Designer by day. I also manufacture custom solid wood snare drums.

4. How long have you been playing drums and any other instruments? Been playing for 15/16 years. 

5. What drums have you previously and currently own? I currently play a Mapex Pro M, previous kits include a Mapex Mars Pro & Ludwig Rocker.

6. What cymbals do you use? I use Meinl & Paiste cymbals. 

7. Whats your most preferred brand of hardware(pedals, stands, racks, etc.)  Gibraltar hardware, Pearl Pedals

8. Do you play in a band or gig? I play for 2 South African bands, The Slashdogs and Star City

9. Whats your most prized music accomplishment. Every recording I've ever done (Albums/EPs)

Very nice to have you here Will3m,

First post has been approved and VIP access is granted. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Regards

1. Whats your name? Willem Söhnge

2. Where do you live approximately? I live in Pretoria, South Africa

3. What do you do for a living? and what are your other hobbies? I'm a Graphic Designer by day. I also manufacture custom solid wood snare drums.

4. How long have you been playing drums and any other instruments? Been playing for 15/16 years. 

5. What drums have you previously and currently own? I currently play a Mapex Pro M, previous kits include a Mapex Mars Pro & Ludwig Rocker.

6. What cymbals do you use? I use Meinl & Paiste cymbals. 

7. Whats your most preferred brand of hardware(pedals, stands, racks, etc.)  Gibraltar hardware, Pearl Pedals

8. Do you play in a band or gig? I play for 2 South African bands, The Slashdogs and Star City

9. Whats your most prized music accomplishment. Every recording I've ever done (Albums/EPs)

Welcome! 

1. Whats your name?

Merlin Coryell, son of Brian, the Scourge of Carpathia, the Sorrow of Moldavia.

2. Where do you live approximately?

Portland, OR; USA

3. What do you do for a living? and what are your other hobbies?

I manage all medical and psychiatric services for an inpatient psych facility for children and adolescents. Aside from music I like some video games, standard Geekdom movies, TV, and readings; and hiking in the Pacific Northwest!

4. How long have you been playing drums and any other instruments?

Been playing since 1996, took up snare in school band and my dad promptly set up his drumkit from the attic and got me started on the right path!

5. What drums have you previously and currently own?

Ludwig, Peace, Rhythm Traders. Soon Ill have a Mapex Maple kit and a pair of BP snares.

6. What cymbals do you use?

Mostly Zildjian A Custom, a few Sabian AA, and a handful of Wuhan chinas and other effects. 17 total cymbals mounted right now.

7. Whats your most preferred brand of hardware(pedals, stands, racks, etc.)

I love my Axis pedals. Previously used Gibrlatar Intruders, and SpeedKings. Use Gibraltar rack systems and hardware, and their throne with a nice backrest!

8. Do you play in a band or gig?

Until grad school started in Sep 2013, I was gigging in Portland with 3 bands, and recording/practicing with two others. Now I have sadly cut back to only my main band City. Progressive Metal original act, currently recording our first album for Spring 2014 release.

9. Whats your most prized music accomplishment?

Hosting an Open Mic for 2 years with my dad and some family friends. We were the house band at a bar in Houston and stood in as requested for other jammers who came to the open mic. We had such fun together, as I took over drums growing up, my dad turned his attention toward guitar and now he's pretty effecient on either. Hope I can learn other instruments someday!

hi!

my name is david and i'm from austria. currently i'm working on my masterthesis in architecture.

i started taking drum lessons at the age of 9, now i'm 27 years old. i learned classical drums, also studied it at a university for a year while i were drummer at the austrian army orchestra so i can play mallets and timpani.

i still gig with my first drumset, a mapex mars series but i've also a custom made jazzdrumset. i own 5 different snare drums, mailnly because the steel snare from mapex was crap.

As Cymbals i play exclusively meinl byzance cymbals (traditional and dark). I really like my mapex hardware, also use their janus pedals. btw i use akg mics, from austria ya know ;)

i currently play in 2 bands, a jazz/wedding band and a slightly larger ballroom band. both bands gig regulary, the ballroomband is more at the beginning while the jazzband now exists for 13 years.

uhm most priced music accomplishment, have been on lokal tv sometimes and played the drums for 3 cds. but nothing really successfull.

greetings from austria

• Upvote 1

I'm not 100% certain but you may be our first from Austria. Welcome to OD. It sounds as if you have had a varied and interesting playing experience. Looking forward to hearing more from you on the forum.

Regards,

Mike Holmes

i own 5 different snare drums, mailnly because the steel snare from mapex was crap.

Drum math: 1 crap snare + time passing = 5 snare drums.......sounds about right!

:lol:

Welcome.  You must have some mad skillz with all that training!  Very cool

1. Whats your name?
Gunther Tornberg
2. Where do you live approximately
New Jersey
In High School; I Ski, sail and fly helicopters 
6-7 years
Pacific (Cheap Set)
Ziljian and Meinl
Not sure (Get what I can afford)
In the process of creating one

Edited by GuntherTornbergDrums

First off, I do not know why I didn't realize I had registered here in 2011, but just got back here and hoping to be able to now participate by remembering I am a member of this forum...

1. What’s your name?        Matt F.

2. Where do you live approximately?    New Mexico

3. What do you do for a living? and what are your other hobbies?   Own a small locksmith business since 2010. I enjoy the drums, the outdoors, stargazing, music, gardening, and the bass guitar (though, I bet nobody else does while I play…LOL)

4. How long have you been playing drums and any other instruments?    I first started in 5th grade with the school band after not having much interest in continuing with the clarinet (4th grade). Played with the school band through middle school, but then left due to friction with the teacher. 25 years later I was able to buy my first & current drum set and have had it for about 5 yrs, but only get a few hours a week, so it is hard to quantify the actual amount of time…in my mind it’s been a total of a few years. I bought a bass 4-string and slowly teaching myself to play on the bass, but have no practice routine for it, which I would like to change.

5. What drums have you previously and currently own?   I own a stunning Mapex M-Series 5-piece fusion set in Transparent Sapphire that I have worked on for the last 5 yrs and now it sits as a 7-piece w/a Pro-M Bass drum. It is the only set of drums I have owned, back in school I had a 14” Steel Ludwig snare drum, which I now kick myself for not keeping better track of…it disappeared after I moved out of mama’s place.

6. What cymbals do you use?   Currently a mix of Saluda, Sabian and Diril cymbals.

7. Whats your most preferred brand of hardware(pedals, stands, racks, etc.)   I have the Mapex 550 series hardware that came with the set, but switched out my hi-hat stand with a Ludwig that could lower far enough for a shorty like me. I also have some Gibraltar (Road Series Hybrid Bar, some clamp arms and a straight stand). Mapex has been solid gear…

8. Do you play in a band or gig? I do not currently play with a band, I get to jam with my friend who plays guitars (both bass & electric), but it has only been limited at best so far with us both running the same type of business. I hope that changes…

9. Whats your most prized music accomplishment?   I guess that would have to be helping the school band (Truman Middle School) to take 1st Place in a St. Patrick’s Day parade, at the time, the judges said it was due to their enjoyment of our cadence which was developed by the 2nd chair drummer and myself (1st chair) – we based our cadence off a rearrangement of a song by the Scorpions (now I can’t think of the name)…not much, but it was a fun experience. Maybe at some point I can mark this as my 1st musical accomplishment instead of the only one...

1. Whats your name? Azrael (well, not REALLY... but according to the Interwebs, that's it, bub!)

2. Where do you live approximately? Southern Maine, USA

3. What do you do for a living? and what are your other hobbies? Tech Support for an Online Backup company. I like to draw, and play video games, and drum, and play bass (when the opportunity arises), and drum, and draw, and drum...

4. How long have you been playing drums and any other instruments? Been playing drums for almost 28 Years... Bass for 8 (off and on)... and I can make noise on many other instruments (piano, harmonica, and other brass/woodwind instruments)

5. What drums have you previously and currently own? 1997 TAMA Rockstar 5-piece in a pretty blue color... (well, it's a 4-piece now... can't find the snare), and my current setup listed in the Signature

6. What cymbals do you use? All Sabians (except for a 6" Zil-Bell)

7. Whats your most preferred brand of hardware(pedals, stands, racks, etc.) I have a Gibraltar rack... but I have to say, I am really digging a lot of the DW hardware...

8. Do you play in a band or gig? I play in a band called "Weapons At Hand", and have played in a few bands since 1994... Nothing that has ever left the state, but hope springs eternal...

9. Whats your most prized music accomplishment? Ummm... I'll have to get back to you on that...

Edited by LordAzrael8th

1. Whats your name? Azrael (well, not REALLY... but according to the Interwebs, that's it, bub!)

2. Where do you live approximately? Southern Maine, USA

I lived in Southern Maine for 15 years. I do not miss the snow, NOR the bugs. Demonic essence of pestilent mosquitoes. Hundreds, thousands, millions in my yard. Running to the car. Twenty cans of deep woods OFF every summer.

Anyway, I believe I shall fill out said questionnaire:

1. Whats your name? Ray

2. Where do you live approximately - Depends. Mountains of south west Virginia, or Denton, TX. Haven't made the full transition into this blasted furnace called Texas.

3. What do you do for a living? and what are your other hobbies? Right now renovating houses, which is not my living,  it's just what I have done the last 8 1/2 years. It's complicated. Hobbies? Making drums (which seems much more than a hobby). Gardening.

4. How long have you been playing drums and any other instruments? Just drums. 51 years, off and on. Mostly on,

5. What drums have you previously and currently own? - Ludwig. Remo. Now I make my own.

6. What cymbals do you use? - Paiste, Sabian, UFIP, Wuhan, Zildjian

7. Whats your most preferred brand of hardware(pedals, stands, racks, etc.) - Whoever makes the right thing for the right price. I do love my Drumnetics pedals.

8. Do you play in a band or gig? - Right now I record with a guitarist and play a multi-genre, improv, composition on the fly kind of thing. Sound track without a film. Jam band with just a duo; Miledge Muzic. It's Jazz, Fusion, Rock, Ambient, New Age, Classical (sort of) in varying degrees and sub-genres. Our first CD came out last year - Despise Not the Day of Small Beginnings.

9. Whats your most prized music accomplishment - I don't know as I have one. Only claim to fame would be the album, Legend, From the Fjords. Power trio from the 70s which has a world-wide cult following today (to my absolute astonishment).

Edited by DiehardDIYer

Greetings all.

1. Whats your name? Tony

2. Where do you live approximately - Florida, but moving to England with British wife in April

3. What do you do for a living? and what are your other hobbies? Retired law enforcement, before: medicine, before & always: musician/drummer Others: painting (mostly oil media)....& anything that seems interesting. 

4. How long have you been playing drums and any other instruments? Hmm since middle school, about omg 1960! Write on piano & guitar but can't play either really.

5. What drums have you previously and currently own? - 1st; field drum, crash cymbal mounted on side of parents garage...2nd; Gretch 5 pc, 3rd Ludwig 6 pc  pro oversize bass/2 floor toms chrome,  Rogers Dynasonic snare, premier hardware, Ludwig base pedal

6. What cymbals do you use? - zildjian, have never used any other but not opposed to Paiste, Sabien 

7. Whats your most preferred brand of hardware(pedals, stands, racks, etc.) - hmm think I answered already above, any solid hardware. All seems about the same. If they don't break or bend then I like them.

8. Do you play in a band or gig? - Started a youth band that segued into Life Teen band (well band is a strong word, I'll say group), which is still playing although since I'm moving I gave it up, have two more play dates with them. Couple of  bands in UK I'll be gigging with & hopefully 1 special one in Belgium.

9. Whats your most prized music accomplishment - Been more than 1, so I'll try to be brief. 1. Being asked by awesome band director to play solo at stadium in HS (if you knew director you'd know why so special 2. Played with Mack Rabinack (Dr. John to some), for a stent in New Orleans along with Al Hirt, Freddy Fender & many other greats that came thru NOLA. 3. Having Ellen DeGeneres be the opening act for my band Original Bleus in New Orleans. She played piano & sung, comically..4. Being back up band for Starship in CA. with same Original Bleus. And TA DA the "biggest", forming Original Bleus with great musicians, one who is now a judge on the Voice in Belgium and has many CD's out on iTunes for 1 venue: B.J. Scott. Lead singer/guitarist in Original Bleus.  Best dang voice I've ever had privilege to play and write with! 'That's all folks' :()

1. Whats your name?

Anders

Molkom, SWEDEN

Currently unemployed

Since my 6th birthday. Guitar and bass

80's 5pc Tama Swingstar, 90's 5pc Pearl Export and currently a 6pc doublebass EAST-kit

Turkish Cymbals. A mix of Apex, Classic, RockBeatRaw and Xanthos-cast

I'm using my old Tama Pro-Beat twin doublepedal and EAST stands. Looking to replace both the pedal and the hihat though

Currently no

9. Whats your most prized music accomplishment

When my Dad said that he thought I played, not only well but very well. (Jazz-pianist and big band-leader)

feel free to add more

1. Whats your name? 

Jason

Melbourne Australia

Graphic Designer and a Bass Player :-)

Starting lessons this week but Im not too shabby at "Funky Cold Medina"

I think I have a tarabuka somewhere

I do play in a few bands as a bass player but this is all about the skins...

Ive had a few songs get featured in some Hollywood movies and I enjoy a tine bit of notoriety here in Melb as a bassist.

I've always loved drums. Even as a bassist. Lets face it - the relationship between drummers and bassists has always been pretty firm. IUm at a point where I love grooving out to drums so much I want to try it from behind the kit rather than in front of the bass rig :-)

7 hours ago, FunkyJase said:

1. Whats your name? 

Jason

Melbourne Australia

Graphic Designer and a Bass Player :-)

Starting lessons this week but Im not too shabby at "Funky Cold Medina"

I think I have a tarabuka somewhere

I do play in a few bands as a bass player but this is all about the skins...

Ive had a few songs get featured in some Hollywood movies and I enjoy a tine bit of notoriety here in Melb as a bassist.

I've always loved drums. Even as a bassist. Lets face it - the relationship between drummers and bassists has always been pretty firm. IUm at a point where I love grooving out to drums so much I want to try it from behind the kit rather than in front of the bass rig :-)

Funky J! Welcome and thanks for posting 411 about you. Funky Cold Medina. Yeaaaaah. Australia eh? My coz lives somewhere there from Japan. I hope to go visit her some point soon so I can check off Australia on my visit list. Hopefully soon. 

You have examples of your graphic design? I don’t design but I love studying it.